Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Confusion of Fibre availability?

Go to solution

So we've recently moved house, and have had to take a downgrade from Fibre to 'Standard' broadband.

Upon checking with all major suppliers, this is indeed correct. Nobody is offering Fibre, and the best speed estimate is 2 meg. So I re-subbed with BT. Familiarity and all that...!

Our engineer came today and have set everything up (brilliantly, top guy, router reports a 7968 downstream data rate) and upon returning from his trip to the cabinet/exchange said that we can definitely get fibre at our property. The cabinet was about half a mile away, and was certainly fibre enabled and he claimed to know that other people are already enjoying fibre just down the road (even further away).

All checkers say we can't get it, BT said no way when I was ordering (although i've not yet rang them with this engineer info).

I triple checked with the engineer and he was 100% certain.

So can the online checkers be wrong? Should I ring BT and persuade them to try again? Or could the BT engineer be incredibly wrong?

Thanks,
Matt

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Confusion of Fibre availability?

Go to solution

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Whilst they may be futher away your line may be longer.

The way the network is routed can sometimes mean lines end up many hundreds of meters longer than the actual distance from the source.

Do you have the postcodes of the houses that are futher away that can supposedly get fibre?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 016******** on Exchange MONTGOMERY is served by Cabinet 3

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Fixed Rate1 ----Available----

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note:

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
How long have you had a phone line?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I suspect it's a new line given the results of the checker. If so, it can sometimes take a couple of weeks for everything to align.

What results do you get for your number using this checker https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi Webby, thanks for your reply.

I can confirm that even though the line has been going from pole to house for 10 years, it is a 'new' number.

Here's my results from that link:

Your fibre service is connected from this exchange.

Exchange name: Montgomery
Exchange status: Fibre enabled

Cabinet number: 3
Cabinet status: Please check the cabinet fibre journey above

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Cab 3 is fibre enabled and accepting orders. Probably just need to wait until openreach database is updated for your new number then you will probably be able to order 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Ok, thanks Imjolly, so which website is best for me to keep checking? The BTWholesale one?

Cheers,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Yeah that's the best one.