cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Connect BTHub 5 with BtHub 3 to Boost Wifi? Advice/help needed please

Hi,

I have a BTHub 5 and I would like to boost the wifi signal in the house. I have a couple spare BtHub 3's lying about, can I connect these together? Its also worth mentioning that I have cat5/cat6 cabling throughout the house, almost every room as ethernet ports. But I need the wifi signal better as in the garden its terrible and I have to keep switching back to 3G/4G on my phone to receive/send messages.

Any ideas or thoughts? I know I could prob get those power wifi adapters/plugs and that but if I can somehow use the bthub3 that I already have then that would be ideal.

Thanks

Dan

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connect BTHub 5 with BtHub 3 to Boost Wifi? Advice/help needed please

See

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

It will also work with a HH5.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks. I read over it quickly and noticed something, can I not use the same wireless ID? For example MyHub, can I have the same wireless ID for the other router that I setup?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@Dan__ wrote:

Thanks. I read over it quickly and noticed something, can I not use the same wireless ID? For example MyHub, can I have the same wireless ID for the other router that I setup?

Cheers

How will the device know which one to connect to?

You can`t have seamless roaming, it has to disconnect from the hub before it can connect to thr extender.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

It will disconnect from one hub and connect to the other but there's no reason why they can't both have the same SSID and passkey.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Before I joined BT, I had a netgear router and I managed to create a repeater with a different router model, this extended the range and worked brilliantly. And it allowed me to use the same SSID.
The reason I would like this is because if I am out in the back garden then I will have to make sure to remember to change my wifi access point on my device, as the other one will still be connected but at a 1 bar signal which is so poor that it keeps breaking connection.

So if the SSID's are the same then I won't have to do that and I can roam about freely and happily without having to worry about remembering to disconnect one connection to join another.

0 Ratings