cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Connect Vision and Smart TV back to distant hub with one ethernet?

Go to solution

Hi

My new hub 4 is in hall.

TV and vision box some distance away in lounge.

I have connected Vision now back to hub with an ethernet cable as BTsport HD would seize on existing powerline adapters ( albeit everythig else was ok. Note ordinary sport ok through powerlines)

My Smart TV is still connected back to hub through powerline adapters and although it used to be OK BBC Iplayer HD play back sometimes falters since I upgraded to infinity.

One option is to also connect the TV back to a spare port on the hub 4 but this means running another long ethernet cable alongside the existing one which is a pain as I have now sealed all the wall holes etc having run the first one.

Hoping all that is clear  the question is -

Can I split the existing ethernet cable back at the TV end into two so that one branch goes to TV and the other into the vision box?

I have read about unmanaged ethernet switches but do not really understand if this is what I need and if both TV and Vision box would work ok side by side. That said there should not be a need to use both at the same time anyway by the nature of what they are but if the signals are in anyway reduced I fear that HD sport will go funny again.

Thank you  ( hopefully in adavance of an answer or suggestion )

Regards

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connect Vision and Smart TV back to distant hub with one ethernet?

Go to solution

Yes, an Ethernet switch will work fine. See this diagram for an example of what I mean.

The powerline adapters are just there as an example.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/powerline3.jpg

You can have many devices connected this way, and they will all work together.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Keith
Thank you for the very quick response.
So I simple wipe the powerline adapters from your diagram and connect to the switch as shown.

May I also ask - is a simple one fine or is it wise to have 802.3X flow control built in  - only need to connect Smart TV and vision box

Thank you

Links removed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

No you are not allowed to post e-commerce links, other than to the BT Shop., so it may be an idea to remove them, before the moderators do.

I can post this link to the BT Shop, if it helps. These are proper Gigabit switches, and are better than the TP-Link ones.

http://www.shop.bt.com/learn-more/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-switches-12533.html

You can just plug it in to the end of your existing Powerline adapters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you again. Links removed and apologies.

The BT ones seem typically pricey in comparison and the TP Link ones are Gibabit switches that seem well recommended. Perhaps I should just read between the lines.Smiley Wink

It is the powerline adapters that I want to dispense with totally though, not 'plug in to the ends of' as you suggest. 

Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Gigabit switches do tend to be more expensive. TP-Link do make them as well, and they are  going to be cheaper than BT.

Look for TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch

I now use Netgear smart Ethernet switches, which allow QOS, bandwidth controls, and QOS., but you do not need anything so complicated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Simple unmanaged FastEthernet switches will be fine. Your internet connection is <100Mbps and the SmartTV won't be directly connecting to the V+ box, so there's no real need for Gigabit connectivity between the two even if both support it.

QoS is something which you'd need to configure end-to-end and isn't configurable on an unmanaged switch so don't worry about any of that.

As for flow-control, don't worry about that either.
0 Ratings