cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Connect landline to home hub 2

I have infinity and use the home hub 2 connected to the open reach modem.

is it possible to connect a landline to the green telephone socket on the back of the hub? When I try I don't get a dial tone, just a dead line tone (not sure what the correct name is) 

have searched but couldn't find answer. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connect landline to home hub 2

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

does that work with any land line phone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@hungledink wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

does that work with any land line phone?

I am not sure what you mean?

Why do you need to plug it into the HH2, why not plug the phone directly into the bottom socket of the Openreach master socket?

On other question, did you used to have Broadband Talk?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

If I just buy any bog standard phone from any retailer, not a mobile device but one that would need plugging into the phone socket, will I be able to plug into the back of the home hub and use it. 

I appreciate I can just plug it into the existing wall socket, however, the socket is in the hall and the home hub is in an adjacent room, where I would like the landline to be. This would require an extension cable where just plugging into the break of the hub would be a tidier solution.

hope that made sense!!

I don't know wether I have broadband talk, I have BT infinity and a bt line rental.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

No, you cannot do that, as the phone connection is not extended via the Ethernet connection between the Openreach modem and the home hub.

One way is to simply buy a telephone extension cable, and plug one end into the bottom phone socket of your master socket, then plug the phone into the other end.

The alternative would be to buy a standard DECT cordless phone, then you could plug the base unit into the master socket.

Or you can buy DECT phone extenders, which extend your phone into another room, without any cables.

Places like Maplin electronics sell such a unit.

0 Ratings