Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rswipe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Connect to bt cloud using fon

Go to solution

Hi. Is it me? I never seem to be able to connect to BT Cloud when I'm out using public wi-fi. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy phone so Android. Yesterday I was in a pub, checked available networks which showed I was connected to BT wi-fi with Fon, maximum strength signal. Tried to use BT Cloud, kept getting "unable to connect" message when trying to open picture files. Got home, connected instantly using my router. Had this before in other locations such as garden centres with their own local network, also with Openzone connected, and have previously used Dropbox with the same problem.

Ideas please?

Bernard

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
DavidM
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connect to bt cloud using fon

Go to solution

Hi @Rswipe,

Thanks for posting Are you able to connect when using your own hub? @JoeV  might be able to offer some advice on this?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Have you tried connecting to a webpage after connecting to the wireless that should redirect you to the bt wifi sign on page. Sign in then try refreshing the cloud app. If you cant connect to a webpage then the problem is the wifi.
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Rswipe,

@Jonkarra's advice sounds spot on.

The BT Cloud app checks for internet connectivity by pinging the BT Cloud servers and getting a successful response (lots of other apps work this way too). If you haven't yet logged on to the BT Wi-Fi hotspot then BT Cloud won't get a successful ping, and so will display the 'No Internet Connectivity' message you're seeing. Once you do log on to the public wifi hotspot the BT Cloud app might not recheck for connectivity straight away, but you can manually trigger this by going to the 'Activity' page and pulling down to refresh, or by closing the app and reopening it.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
Rswipe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks. Had a play this morning. Started off connected to my own hub ( I keep the phone signed in to BT). Opened a web page in my browser, connected instantly. Closed browser, BTCloud connected instantly from it's icon, files opened straight away. Went to settings on my phone and changed connection to Wi-fi with Fon (very strong signal). Went to browser, opened the same web page instantly, no need to sign in to BT Wi-fi. Closed browser, connected to BTCloud via it's icon, straight in. Now I know Fon is using my browser in this instance, but when I had the problem in the pub the other day I connected to Fon in the same way and got the same very strong signal, so why the difference? And as I said before, I've had the same problem in other locations. Anyway, thanks for your help, I'll keep your suggestions in mind and experiment when I'm out and about.

Thanks

Bernard

0 Ratings