Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prodoto
Beginner
Message 1 of 31

Connected Direct to Exchange

Hi,

I have been doing some checking on the availability of infinity in my area. According to the available data my area (Calder valley) is accepting orders for infinity. But the line checker tells me I can’t have it. Further investigation shows that the reason I can’t have it, is because I am connected directly to the exchange, not via a street cabinet.

Can anyone advise on a process I can initiate to enable my line to be infinity enabled??

Thanks

Peter

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 31

Re: Connected Direct to Exchange

@Prodoto wrote:

Hi,

I have been doing some checking on the availability of infinity in my area. According to the available data my area (Calder valley) is accepting orders for infinity. But the line checker tells me I can’t have it. Further investigation shows that the reason I can’t have it, is because I am connected directly to the exchange, not via a street cabinet.

Can anyone advise on a process I can initiate to enable my line to be infinity enabled??

Thanks

Peter

Hi Prodto.

Unfortunatley as you have found , you are connected directley to the exchange, so NO Infinity.

The only way to get Infinity is to be connected to the street cabinet, now even if it was possible, that would cost you a lot of money.

There are some NEW EXCHANGES being built which are fibre only, but again not likely to happen for many many years.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 31

yep you cant have infinity as your direct to the cab it isnt that bad through you should get a resonablly fast adsl service still

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 31

@jcampy wrote:

yep you cant have infinity as your direct to the cab it isnt that bad through you should get a resonablly fast adsl service still

Unfortunatley, BT on that exchange is only ADSL Max.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Icaras
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 31

@toekneem wrote:

@Prodoto wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Peter

Hi Prodto.

Unfortunatley as you have found , you are connected directley to the exchange, so NO Infinity.

The only way to get Infinity is to be connected to the street cabinet, now even if it was possible, that would cost you a lot of money.

There are some NEW EXCHANGES being built which are fibre only, but again not likely to happen for many many years.

No new exchanges are planned. Where did you hear this?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Hi some exchanges are offering FTTP fibre to premises but not every one whether it will come to all exchanges is unknown
0 Ratings
Prodoto
Beginner
Message 7 of 31

So in short... I can't have infinity!

Does anyone know a reason why the exchange can't be infinity enabled????

0 Ratings
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 8 of 31

@Prodoto wrote:

So in short... I can't have infinity!

Does anyone know a reason why the exchange can't be infinity enabled????

Infinity uses a system called VDSL to send the signal to your line. VDSL uses higher frequencies than normal ADSL. There is a risk these higher frequencies will interfer with other equipment and are therefore currently banned in exchanges by Ofcom. No news about this changing.

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 31

@Icaras wrote:

No new exchanges are planned. Where did you hear this?

Spotted a news Item a while ago on TBB, it stated that some (NOT MANY) new exchanges were being planned to be Fibre only.

If I can find it I will post the details.

[edit] just done a google search for "Fibre only Telephone exchanges" and here are some details:

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2011/08/bt_to_trial_fibre_only_rural_broadband_exchange/

and another:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4774-fibre-only-exchange-fox-trial-candidate-locations-announced....

and another:

http://www.broadbandwatcher.co.uk/bt-selects-4-rural-locations-to-run-fibre-only-exchange-trials-329...

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
mikey_b
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 31

Forgive me if I have gotten this wrong, FTTC is fibre to the street cab to reduce degradation in signal to ensure high download speeds ? so if its fibre from the Exchange to the CAB, then if one is connected to the Exchange then shouldn't they be able to receive the high download speeds also as the end user must be close to the exchange?

0 Ratings