cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pippincp
Sage
Message 11 of 31

Re: Connected Direct to Exchange

With FTTC distance from the exchange no longer matters.

As stated previously the equipment can interfere with ADSL lines so will not be installed in the exchange.

0 Ratings
mikey_b
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 31

I know distance from exchange to cab no longer matters but what I was trying to ascertain is that if one is connected to the exchange then their home must be with in close proximity to the exchange and there for should receive near infinity speeds down the copper wire to the end user?

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 31

Not if the exchange only has ADSL Max.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
mikey_b
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 31

but if the exchange is fibre enabled so infinity goes out to the street cabs why can't OR connect the lines of the people connected to the exchange to the infinity equipment?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 15 of 31

Because the Infinity equipment if installed in the exchange would interfere with ADSL lines. What part of this can't you understand? Infinity is VDSL.

0 Ratings
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 16 of 31

Mikey_b

Forget about fibre that is just a way of getting high speed signals to go a long way. Think about the copper bit from the cabinet to the home. This uses a system called VDSL that uses high frequency carriers up to 8MHz soon to be 17MHz. The kit that sends these out are called DSLAMS. Normally they are in a steel cabinet in the street so cause no problems. For exchange lines they would have to be physically in the exchange and the interference they cause could stop other sensitive equipment working. There are regulations that prevent BT fitting these in an exchange. Orginally they were talking about FTTP for these lines but that is still on trial so no actual roll out has started AFAIA.

What is curious is that a fibre enabled exchange has not been upgraded ADSL2+. A few exchanges are offering fibre which is routed back to another exchange which has been upgraded - if you think about it there is no need for the voice and data signal to go via the same exchange. Which exchange is it?

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 31

@Infinitechris wrote:

What is curious is that a fibre enabled exchange has not been upgraded ADSL2+. A few exchanges are offering fibre which is routed back to another exchange which has been upgraded - if you think about it there is no need for the voice and data signal to go via the same exchange. Which exchange is it?

I believe you are correct when you say that some exchanges are offering fibre which is routed back to another exchange.

My understanding from a Openreach Engineer (On the design side) who lives across the road, he said exactly that about my exchange  (in the sig)

Before I had fibre, my exchange showed a RFS date, then it went Live and I could order it.

He has told me that the fibre cable is coming from another exchange at Southend and bypassing certain exchanges, which will obviousley lead to the closure of some exchanges.

I would imagine the closures would come with the introduction of VOIP.

My exchange serves:

12,279 residential premises 507 non-residential premises.

I understand that it might not be just a few exchanges either.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
mikey_b
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 31

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Infinitechris !! 🙂

POPPINCP - less of the attitude please ! don't let that "expert" tag go to your head ! unlike your answer Infinitechris and Toekneem actually respond with HELPFUL answers.

0 Ratings
Prodoto
Beginner
Message 19 of 31

The exchange in question is in the calder valley, Mytholmroyd, my postcode is HX7 5QJ and I can actually throw a stone and hit the exchange!

0 Ratings
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 20 of 31

Known to BT as Calder Valley (MYCAL) this link is to the Sam Knows data on that exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MYCAL 

Given you can't get Infinity and there is no date for ADSL2+ from BT you might want to look at the speeds Sky, Talk Talk and Orange can offer as they all have LLU equipment there. Sky offer up to 20Mb/s and given you live close you should get near that speed. 

0 Ratings