cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prodoto
Beginner
Message 21 of 31

Re: Connected Direct to Exchange

Is there anyway to actually find out for certain that I am connected to the exchange, not a street cabinet?

And in reality, if I am connected to the exchange I guess its safe to assume infinity will be 12mnths away at least?

My only other option is to go for a leased line!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

HI Only openreach have that data and as they only deal with service providers there is no direct way of you finding out and if you are connected directly to the exchange then infinity will not be available i am sorry to say
0 Ratings
Icaras
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 31

@toekneem wrote:

@Icaras wrote:

No new exchanges are planned. Where did you hear this?

Spotted a news Item a while ago on TBB, it stated that some (NOT MANY) new exchanges were being planned to be Fibre only.

If I can find it I will post the details.

[edit] just done a google search for "Fibre only Telephone exchanges" and here are some details:

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2011/08/bt_to_trial_fibre_only_rural_broadband_exchange/

and another:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4774-fibre-only-exchange-fox-trial-candidate-locations-announced....

and another:

http://www.broadbandwatcher.co.uk/bt-selects-4-rural-locations-to-run-fibre-only-exchange-trials-329...

You've misunderstood that. FOX exchanges aren't new exchanges. They are existing exchanges where Openreach removes the existing DSL equipment and only offer FTTP.

0 Ratings
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 24 of 31

@Prodoto wrote:

Is there anyway to actually find out for certain that I am connected to the exchange, not a street cabinet?

And in reality, if I am connected to the exchange I guess its safe to assume infinity will be 12mnths away at least?

My only other option is to go for a leased line!

What is wrong with a LLU line from Sky etc as I suggested you should get near 20Mb/s from that? It will save you a few thousand a year.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 25 of 31

Orange doesn't offer LLU any more they have gone back to offering BT's white label offering and Sky and Talk Talk require you to take their line rental out when taking their broadband.

I don't know abut the OP but i certainly wouldn't want to move my line rental away from BT.

0 Ratings
Infinitechris
Expert
Message 26 of 31

@deathaxe wrote:

Orange doesn't offer LLU any more they have gone back to offering BT's white label offering and Sky and Talk Talk require you to take their line rental out when taking their broadband.

I don't know abut the OP but i certainly wouldn't want to move my line rental away from BT.

Why  ever not? I had forgotten Orange had dropped out - Sam Knows still lists them - and I would use Sky over Talk Talk on service grounds but having been a Sky customer (only changed as Sky had no plans to offer FTTC) I can assure you they are OK and if you have a fault they can get Openreach to fix it just like BT Retail. Its no different than switching from British Gas to another fuel supplier for your gas.  

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 31

@Infinitechris wrote:

@deathaxe wrote:

Why  ever not? I had forgotten Orange had dropped out - Sam Knows still lists them - and I would use Sky over Talk Talk on service grounds but having been a Sky customer (only changed as Sky had no plans to offer FTTC) I can assure you they are OK and if you have a fault they can get Openreach to fix it just like BT Retail. Its no different than switching from British Gas to another fuel supplier for your gas.  

Totally agree with Infinitechris, had 3 years with SKY on a fully unbundled line, the only reason I came back was the opportunity to get Fibre as soon as possible.

No disrespect to BT, but if Sky was offering it I would probably move back after my contract is up.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
eolinessuck
Beginner
Message 28 of 31

im confused here,the checker says for me that im exchange only,i think anyway,theres no mention of connected to a cab or anything,my exchange in Ayr will be available the end of june.The confusing bit is a few years back i had an engineer out coz of broadband problems and he said there was a problem in my local cab which he fixed?????????????does this mean i am connected to a cab...who knows,i stay about over a mile from the exchange which i thought was a bit far to be directly connected but with poxy download speeds of 2.5megs i will be really annoyed if i cant get infinity as a street that is closer to the exchange can get infinity at speeds of 78meg!!!!! i would actually be happy with 10meg,the other annoying thing is bt say my estimated speed should be bout 7meg...i wish so not all lines that are directly connected are close tothe exchange ie me well i think anyway,my postcodes ka8 0nh on exchange ayr code is wayr i think,oh and another thing if i put my old number in it says im connected to cab and can recieve infinity,im just confused dont want to be stuck at 2.5mb in this day in age,any help or info on here wud be appreciated

0 Ratings
eolinessuck
Beginner
Message 29 of 31

no im over a mile from my exchange and recieve a download speed of 2.5mb and i am directly connected...total bummer
0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 31

@eolinessuck wrote:
no im over a mile from my exchange and recieve a download speed of 2.5mb and i am directly connected...total bummer

Not much help to you at the moment, but I am sure that they must soon start looking at connections that are Exchange only connections.

<Mind you I do have to say that at a mile distance from the exchange that is still a cr8p speed.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings