cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 37

Connected to FTTC but always getting low end speed

Hi, finally got connected to fibre but always getting the lower end of the speed available. I knew I was never going to get up to 52mb, but didn't think i would always be at the bottom in terms of speed. Are my settings correct? Had a question around distances etc as when doing some investigations via Sam knows, kitz and so on, it was saying my direct connection was over 6100 km away. If my speed is being based on distance from the cabinet, could this be impacting? I have located my cabinet and it is very close to my location, however the postcode info had me in another part of town on openreach website. I have asked something similar to this on this forum before but I now have updated info. Would appreciate any advice.

Am I being capped somehow?  Even more strange is that on openreach, my phone number shows that i can order fibre, but my postcode and address says cabinet at high demand.  Just want to ensure i'm getting best speed possible.

Thanks !

Kitz.jpgDSL Check.jpgHub.jpg

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Connected to FTTC but always getting low end speed

are you using the test socket with a new filter to see if that helps improve your conenction  if you use test socket then check there is no dial tone at any extension socket

the checker is just an estimate and as long as you are above handback speed BT won't help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 37

You need to look closely at your internal wiring, and how the home hub is connected, as that can have a massive impact on your actual connection speed.

There should be plenty of advice from forum  members regardin this, but as a start, you could try connecting things up like this. It also applies to BT Infinity

See whether the connection speed on the home hub, increases.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 37

thanks.

I removed the faceplate of my master socket (Openreach master socket 5c) and plugged router direct into that via the filter with nothing else connected and i was only getting 16mb max when running tests.  Not sure if this is the test socket or not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

test-socket-thumb.jpg

test socket shown with black arrow   if you conenct to that with a filter then any other socket should not have a dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 37

@alan_mc wrote:

thanks.

I removed the faceplate of my master socket (Openreach master socket 5c) and plugged router direct into that via the filter with nothing else connected and i was only getting 16mb max when running tests.  Not sure if this is the test socket or not.

Not really, unless you are sure that you do not have any other extensions teed in elsewhere (very commoin).

As @imjolly has said, you need to check that there is no dial tone on any other extension sockets, when that bottom section is removed. You should only get dial tone when plugged into that microfilter.

If there is dial tone elsewhere, then your internal wiring is at fault.

Any extensions must be connected to the back of that bottom section.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 37

Ok.  Understand now.  Will try that later.  Would internal wiring cause the low end speed at master though?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

@alan_mc wrote:

Ok.  Understand now.  Will try that later.  Would internal wiring cause the low end speed at master though?

Yes it will, see this diagram.

Has your Infinity Installation been wired correctly?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 37

Link is just taking me back to forum main page.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 37

@alan_mc wrote:

Link is just taking me back to forum main page.  

Are you connected to your BT Broadband home connection, otherwise you will be directed back to the forum, as domain restrictions apply on my web server. At a guess, you are possibly connected to o2 mobile Smiley Wink

I will reproduce the diagram below, via the Lithium proxy server.

0 Ratings