Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2scoops
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Connectin Errors at Peak Times

Quick background to my problem basically the internet will not connect at peak times, ongoing issue for over 3 weeks now!?

I switch my homehub v2 off/on for the past 6 years & have never had a problem connecting.

After numerous calls, line checks, microfilter changes, master socket & different routers (netgear & broadband business hub) still no joy connecting at peak times.

I had an engineer visit on Tuesday who advised there is no problem with the line & to leave the home hub on all the time. Which I have done. He did however change my master socket, even though there was no fault with it

It was connected this morning, however this afternoon the "b" on my hub it is now flashing amber!

it is driving me crazy... any suggestions greatly appreciated?

Thanks

2scoops

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Connectin Errors at Peak Times

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
2scoops
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: Connection Errors at Peak Times

Hi john46,

Thanks for reading & taking the time to post.

Unfortunately i'm at work but will update you with as much as information as possible:-

I have done the speedtests (speedtest.net) over the past few days (when I was able to connect) & basically during the day D/L speeds were good (6+ Mbps) & in the evening the were lower but surfing was acceptable. This was what I expected as I know BT throttle users at peak times. I will conduct a BT speed test when i get home & post the findings later.

I ran the line check last night when I got home & there was no noise on the line (corded phone)

What I don't understand is my internet has been fine for the past 6/7 years & all of a sudden its gone really flaky. I hate to say it but only since BT have started rolling out Infinty in my area. I am expecting a phone call offering me Infinty v v shortly!!

Thanks

2scoops

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Hi until we can see your full hubstats and the full results of the Bt speedtest as this carries more details about your connection than any other speed test it is difficult to advise further I can say one thing for certain though it is nothing to do with infinity it is however possible that your exchange has recently upgraded to adsl2+bt's up to 20mb service and your line has recently been moved accoos to that service we cannot say for certain until we see your hubstats but if the change isrecent you could be in the line training period or as adsl2+is more noise aggressive than the old adsl max service some minor adjustments to your connection need doing again we can advise further when we we see the hubstats. Hope that helps willlook forward toseeing your hubstats latertoday
0 Ratings
2scoops
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 2:55:09
Downstream8,032 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleave
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.6 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)16.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)2403 / 4
CRC Errors (Down/Up)6 / 2147480001
HEC Errors (Down/Up)4 / 2
Error Seconds (Local)6

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 5169 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5169 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8032 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7000 Kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

hi looking at your hubstats and speed test there is currently little wrong with your connection you are on an 8 mb connection witch is what your hub is connecting at your ip profile is corect for your connection speed and your download speed at 5.1mb is well within specification you say BT throttle customers at peak time that is in fact incorrect the only speed restrictions are placed on p2p download services at peak times all other broadband protocols are limited
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

I agree that there is nothing obviously wrong with your connection and in fact you have been connected for over 1 day so maybe it is settling down after engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
2scoops
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

i agree with your statement regarding P2P /BT however if i switch my homehub off at this time it just wont reconnect until the middle of the night, so that is where my query lies.

thanks
2scoops
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

there is no logical reason for that the only suggestion i can make is leave the hub powered 24/7 and do not restart it
0 Ratings
2scoops
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

that does appear to work but last night i was reaching past the hub brushed the reset button & lo & behold it would'nt connect. i left it on and in the morning it was connected its very frustrating....
0 Ratings