cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LukeMelling
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Connecting DrayTek 2860n to BT ADSL

So.. After I spent about an hour and a half on an online chat with a representative from BT, I am no further forward with getting my BT ADSL connection up and running via a DrayTek 2860n.

The representative sent me a link to: 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7447/~/how-do-i-set-up-my-non-bt-router%3F

Of which most of the steps are already pre-configured via ADSL anyways..

After this, I advised the representative that the DrayTek still isn't dialling a connection, then he went on to say nope, it will never work because you do not have a BT OpenReach Modem, to which I promptly advised that you catagorically do not need a BT OpenReach Modem unless you're using FTTC, and even so - my Modem supports VDSL2+!

After about half an hour of this discussion he must of spoke with a colleague because he ended up finally agreeing with me and apologising.

To me, the DrayTek doesn't look like it's attempting to authenticate, but after asking numerous times for the RADIUS logs whilst I was chatting to the representatives, he still failed to for some reason!

Thing I found funny was that to end the conversation because he clearly didn't know how to assist me anymore, he had me plug in the BT Hub 5 which I'm trying to get rid of (I thought he was going to check something remotely to assist me), once it established an ADSL connection, he said it must be an issue with your router. Please reffer to the manafacturer. 

- I gave up at this point.............................

- I did however configure it on a DrayTek 2830 previously and had no joy then either.

Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction, as clearly BT cannot do so.

Thank you! 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Connecting DrayTek 2860n to BT ADSL

Should be straightforward, the settings in the link are correct. Have you tried setting various flavours of ADSL i.e ADSL2+ etc. Are you getting DSL sync but not PPP or IP connectivity?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Are you sure you are using homehub@btbroadband.com and not @btinternet.com as the username?

0 Ratings
LukeMelling
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Hi Licquorice, I have tried different types of Modulation, yes. I'm neither getting DSL sync nor PPP activity, which would lead me to believe that I've maybe not enabled something somewhere but I've definitely enabled everything I believe is required and is on that link.

And yes, I've tried using @btbroadband.com & definitely not using @btinternet.com.
0 Ratings
LukeMelling
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

- RADIUS Logs would've answered the initial question though 🙂
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

If you don't have DSL sync you won't get PPP connectivity. Might be worth a factory reset and starting again, otherwise I'm out of ideas. Hopefully somebody with a Draytek can assist although I'm not sure what other settings you can change at the DSL level other than modulation type.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@LukeMelling wrote:
- RADIUS Logs would've answered the initial question though 🙂

Not if you haven't got DSL sync.

0 Ratings
LukeMelling
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

That's fine, I've already tried a factory reset and yeah..
I'll definitely give it another go at some point though, but yeah maybe someone with a DrayTek could..

I work for an IT Company so installing/replacing routers isn't like another world to me.. and from experience with our business ISP's you just literally pop the ADSL username/password in, plug in your RJ11 cable and away you go!

Honestly cannot understand why/how BT have made it so complex, unless yes - I am missing something maybe.

We'll see - thanks for your assistance anyways.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@LukeMelling wrote:

Honestly cannot understand why/how BT have made it so complex, unless yes - I am missing something maybe.

But it isn't complex, most routers just plug and play. I've certainly had no problems with Netgear, Billion, and TP-Link routers on BT ADSL and VDSL. I've never ever used a BT supplied router. Possibly a faulty unit of course.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 10 of 10

I'm using a 2850 at work with BT. I can add a screenshot if it helps.

0 Ratings