Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darrenjeff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Connecting Netgear DG834GT to BT

Hi...

I'm using an old Sky DG834GT router (reflashed with latest firmware) to connect to my BT Broadband.

It connects fine and reports DSL stats but I cannot access the Internet.

I am using the username - username@btbroadband.com and no password.. everything else default.

Any ideas please??

Thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
spacepilot
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Connecting Netgear DG834GT to BT

i have the latest DG834g boxed up and waiting to go on my new computer, once my lack of speed has been sorted. in the bt user guide, page 23 (2010 version) it states that if you use your own modem, the vpi/vci should be set to 0/38. this is the'number' the netgear 'rings' to go onto the broadband line. if you have it as default, then it could be 'ringing' the sky numbers.

welcome to the world of last wednesday week.

there's now't wrong with 2 cans and a piece of string. at certain times, it is often faster.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Are you using a LAN cable or Wireless ?

if using LAN .. My Netgear (in the Basic settings page) is set to use PPPoA (PPP over ATM)

DNS set to automatically get from ISP

In the ADSL page

VC based

VPI = 0

VCI =38

Hope thats some help ?

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
0 Ratings
stuman
Message 4 of 19

HI - I am also having similar issues. I have used a DG834GT for years, with the latest speed being 8 Mbps. At christmas I was having issues with the netgear, and needed a connection, so thought I would try the nice shiny home hub. This gave me a slower connection, but allowed me to do my last minute shopping.

Move forward to Friday, and suddenly I am unable to use I player, and all pages are slow to load. So I open task manager, and I have managed to drop to less than 500kbps. 

I search online for some clue as to what is occuring, and it looks like i am saddled with a common problem with the home hub. I now try to fire up the netgear, and lo - it fails

- No DHCP allocation of IP

- No DNS

- connection window indicates that it hasn't authenticated (although I'm not sure that this is the reality, as these forms seem to suggest that any fictitious email & password will suffice as BT use the phone line)

I really need help here.

0 Ratings
coltal
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

hi  i have just moved to bt from sky and iam having same prob with netgear 834gt says connected shows ip addy and dns, just no internet connection,  did u sort yours out or have you just scrapped the idea.

thanks colin

ps tried original firmware, dgteam firmware still no joy.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

are the sky routers not locked to sky just like the hubs are locked to BT - unless you have ha*k*d the firmware

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Hello,

Username and Password need to be set as according to this site:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/346,401,407,409/a_id/644

ADSL Username should be <username when you first signed up to BT>@btbroadband.com

ADSL Password BT (in the case of Netgear routers).

Note that there are quite a few users of netgear routers reporting problems. I think BT might just have tweaked the CHAP servers. Check your ADSL logs and please post them up if they show something interesting and the above doesn't work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
coltal
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

hi m8 yeh it was locked, thats the 1st thing i did get rid of skys fware

the dgteam f/w is hacked, also tried ng origal f/w also tried lappy and other puter aswell to eliminate that.

thanks colin

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

I am using a netgear dg834 with DGT and have not had any problems with connecting to the net

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
coltal
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

i have a 834 aswell  as a 834gt i might try that see if that connects, thanks for posting about using your.name@btbroadband.com , i think we were posting at the same time. iam sure i tried this before i tried bthomehub@btbroadband.com

no pw

thanks colin

ps you cant alter snr on 834 can u ?

0 Ratings