cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimmyT
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Connecting Samsung Smart TV to BT WIFI

I live in a communal environment with internet access via BT WiFi, accessed via the BT WiFi portal. Is there any way I can connect my Samsung smart TV to the internet using this service? So far, the TV acknowledges the WiFi signal, but won't connect as I don't have a seperate router/password and the TV doesn't have a browser to access the BT login portal.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connecting Samsung Smart TV to BT WIFI

Welcome to this user forum.

There is no way you can use the smart TV with a BT Wifi hotspot, as it needs to be authenticated using a web browser.

0 Ratings
TimmyT
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

No! How annoying. Are there any work arounds at all?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@TimmyT wrote:

No! How annoying. Are there any work arounds at all?

Not really. You may be able to login with a laptop and then share the Internet connection with the TV. Either way you will be disconnected every two hours, and the speed is likely to be too slow for the TV to stream anything.

0 Ratings
CaveMan1
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

IT IS POSSIBLE to connect a smart tv to BT WIFI with Fon, albeit a bit fiddly! 

Press MENU on the TV remote.

Go to the INSTALLATION icon and open that menu up.

Select FIRST TIME INSTALLATION and follow all the prompts.

When you get to the NETWORK prompt that asks if you would like to set up an internet connection now, select YES.

Change the CONNECTION SETTING from WIRED to WIRELESS.

You will then be presented with a list of available WIFI networks.

Select BT WIFI with Fon. You will not be asked for a user name or password at this point.

Continue with the rest of the installation using the automatic tuner.

Once the TV is all tuned in and you can see the list of channels, exit out of it all so you are just seeing a TV broadcast.

Then press either your INTERNET BROWSER button or the YOUTUBE button if they are on your remote.

You will then be presented with the BT OPENZONE login page that you would see on any computer or smart device. 

Select the HIDE button on the on screen keyboard and it will disappear allowing you to move between the data entry fields.

Ensure that you select BT WIFI at the top of the page and then move the curser into the user name and password fields...You will probably have to select HIDE each time you want to tab to each data entry field by using the arrow buttons on the remote.

Key in your user name and password by using the on screen keyboard and your TV is now ONLINE!!!!

0 Ratings