cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Connecting a Netgear router via Ethernet cable to home hub

Hi,

I tried asking BT tech support for assistance,  as the information which comes with the home hub doesn't provide this info.   Having had them try to tell me that 1.   You can't connect another router to a home hub,   because the home hub is more secure than other routers........    Then try to direct me to the bt shop to buy a different router than the Netgear.....   I am not impressed,  finally they put me on hold while going to get information,   and never came back.

The BT home hub is connected into the main phone socket in my house.    I need wireless option in my office area and the signal isn't strong enough to reach there.   So I have an Ethernet cable set up so that I can link a Netgear WNR2000 router in the office to the home hub.    Can someone please give me advice in plain english,  on what I need to do so that the computer plugged into the Netgear,  and any wifi units in range of the Netgear can access the internet.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Connecting a Netgear router via Ethernet cable to home hub

Here are a cople of examples of extra routers being used as an access point. You should be able to get a good idea of the settings you need on the Netgear.

Use a spare BT Home Hub as a wired wireless access point  (HH1, 1.5, 2.0 and HH3 version a only)

Using an old BT Voyager modem as an additional wireless access point.

Link BT two home Hub 3s together and extend your wireless to another location.

The main thing is to make sure that the Netgear IP address is within the home hubs subnet, but outside of the DHCP range.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for the links,

I think the issue is coming down to the language used by netgear on their settings menu,   against the terms used in these examples.

I have set it up so that I have sected that the internet connection requires a login,  have set the login and service name both to bt homehub@btbroadband.com  with password set to bt.   (because on some websites/ articles I have seen mention of the need for the password field to not be blank.  

The connection mode is set to dial on demand,   and idle time out in minutes is set to 5.

For the Internet IP address I changed from get dynamically from ISP,  to Use static IP address and set the IP address to 192 168 1 254

I changed the doman name server address to use as primary 192.168.1.254  secondary 10.112.112.112

For the router MAC Address I left it set to use default address

Can anyone suggest please why its not seeing the internet.  or what I have wrong with these settings?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Why not just move the Homehub to the office. You obviously don't mind having a cable run from present location of the hub to the office so replace the Ethernet cable with RJ11 cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

You are over complicating things.

Connect one end of cable to LAN port on home hub.

Connect other end of cable to LAN port on Netgear.

Disable DHCP on Netgear, and change its IP address to 192.168.1.15 (an example)

Change SSID on Netgear to suit whatever you want. It does not have to be the same as the home hub, as long as any wifi device has both SSIDs stored as settings.

Thats it. You should not need to alter anything else. I do not have a Netgear router, but other people have used on as an additional access point.

The home hub deals with all the access settings, all the Netgear is doing, is acting as an additional wireless access point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

You don't need to set anything for the internet connection as this is being achieved by your home hub, the netgear is not connecting directly to the internet. Set its IP address to 192.168.1.200, 192.168.1.254 is the address of the hub. DNS is ok, gateway should be 192.168.1.254.

Keith beat me to it while I was typing Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Sorry licquorice Smiley Wink

You can use any IP address outside of the DHCP range, but I do remember someone saying that the Netgear gets a bit fussy, if you try and change things in the wrong order.

see https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Connect-Netgear-access-point-to-Home-Hub/m-p/125313#M66...

Its really quite simple, and most routers can be used as additional access points.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Thanks for the suggestion,   I do want to use the internet in the rest of the house as well.  Its just that there are stone walls between the socket point and the office area.  Hence the need to extend the internet connection range.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

for the message,   but there is no tick box on the set up for a netgear router which is headed DHCP,    and none marked SSID.

So the assistance I need is in translating these terms to the options offered on the Netgear set up system.

Is choosing to use a static IP address rather than getting the IP address dynamically from ISP the same as disabling DHCP?

Does SSID mean the same as  secondary domain name server address?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@J-Gwen wrote:

Is choosing to use a static IP address rather than getting the IP address dynamically from ISP the same as disabling DHCP?

Yes

Does SSID mean the same as  secondary domain name server address?

No, SSID is the name of the router that it broadcasts so that it can be identified. You probably don't need to worry too much about that.

0 Ratings