cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Connecting a Netgear router via Ethernet cable to home hub

To be honest, unless you are 100% competent in trying to get an old surplus router to act as a wireless access point, something that it was not intended for, you would be better forgetting about it, and using a proper dedicated wireless access point, like the TP-Link WA701ND.

If you had not already run the cable, then one of the BT Shop broadband hotspot kits would have been much simpler.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

If you want to do as Keith has just suggested and you want an Ethernet connection as well as wireless you would need to connect an Ethernet switch in your office to the Ethernet cable you have already run and connect the TP-Link-WA701ND to that. 

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 13 of 18

Thanks for the advice,    I have cracked the problem and wanted to put the information on the settings used on this thread to help others in the future.

Does your internet connection require a login   -   No

Account Name bthomehub @ btbroadband.com

Use static IP address

IP address 192.168.1.200

IPsubnet mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address 192.168.1.254

Use these DNS Servers

Primary DNS 192.168.1.254

Secondary DNS 10.112.112.112

Use default Router MAC Address

It may be the same points some of you were making,   but hopefully by putting in the order requried and terms used on the setup program from Netgear for this router it will make things clearer for people in the future.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Well done, it was the glass of wine last night that did it!! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 15 of 18

Thanks for the suggestion,   the netgear router had been used to extend the WiFi for a couple of years,   but was working via the Speedtouch router supplied via my previous ISP.    When I moved over to BT as I ISP  I found that the speedtouch still worked,   so left well alone.     Thanks to a lightning strike along the phone line,   the white box in the house and the speedtouch router both got fried,   so I had to change over to the home hub in the house.

The only issue was trying to match the different manufactorers terminology.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

Why you should need login details is odd, as you are not authenticating with the Netgear router. Also the secondary DNS server address is also odd as it sounds like some old setting that were left in the router.

If it works, then that is the main thing.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

Saddly no,

It was the giving up working at half nine,   and sneeking away from what I should be doing on the farm to go back in the office this afternoon that cracked it.    🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

Probably don't need them, but setting them won't have any effect as the modem won't be connected to an ADSL line.

0 Ratings