cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hystrix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Connecting a normal phone to Home Hub 5

I currently have a normal phone connected to a Home Hub 1.5.  If I upgraded to a Home Hub 5, how would I connect a normal phone to it?

I do not have a normal phone socket in the vicinity of my home hub, just a broadband extension cable.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connecting a normal phone to Home Hub 5

Is it a BT hub phone? If not, then what type of phone is it, and where is it plugged it?

Do you use Broadband Talk (the extra phone number)?

0 Ratings
hystrix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I don't use broadband talk.  I have a normal land-line phone plugged into the phone socket on my current Home Hub 1.5.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@hystrix wrote:

I don't use broadband talk.  I have a normal land-line phone plugged into the phone socket on my current Home Hub 1.5.

Just plug it into the phone socket on the microfilter instead. The socket on the back was originally intended for people to use a normal phone with Broadband Talk.

On a new home hub, you will still need the microfilter unless you have a new split master socket. So you simply plug the phone into that.

0 Ratings
scootwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I sympathise with the poster. I get 25 mbps when I only have the Home Hub 5 connected to my master socket but when I try connecting a normal phone via a splitter my speed drops to 4mbps. What's more the HH5 keeps resetting every few minutes. Not having a phone socket in the back of the Home Hub 5 like on the 3 is really annoying and means I effectively can't get the Infinity speed I'm paying for. Angry customer!

Spoiler
Smiley Mad
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@scootwilson

are you connecting the filter to the master/test socket then hub to dsl side of filter and splitter to phone side of filter then phone to splitter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
scootwilson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, yes the BT Engineer said I no longer needed the ASDL splitter, but I'd originally ignored it and left it on. But the box often resetted randomly every ten minutes and only got 4mbps compared to 24 with that too. Yes the splitter is on the end of my 10meter concealed extension cable but that's because I am not able to run two wires through from the master socket. I just don't understand why BT didn't keep the 'phone' socket on the HH5. I got faster speeds when I wasn't with Infinity and the HH2! BT what were you thinking. They don't have any guides on the internet for setting up a system either and seem to assume people only have the router and not normal phones as well.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

if you now have a MK3 socket are you running an extension cable from the adsl socket with a splitter in the end and then to phone  OR

are you connecting to phone socket on MK3 master with extension socket then with splitter on end and then connecting router and phone

can you explain in more detail even a photo would help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pat7
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

0 Ratings