Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Borodin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Connecting a printer to my USB hub

Go to solution

I have a HP C4180 printer which used to be connected to the internet via a printer sharer. Now I have a BT hub instead of my old netgear one I want to connect it directly via the hub. My hub manager recognises it as a HP Photosmart C4100 series but I cannot for the life of me get my PC able to print a test page succesfully. Could anyone please talk me through the process with easy to follow instructione. I would be most grateful.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
geaves
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting a printer to my USB hub

Go to solution

@Borodin wrote:

I have a HP C4180 printer which used to be connected to the internet via a printer sharer. Now I have a BT hub instead of my old netgear one I want to connect it directly via the hub. My hub manager recognises it as a HP Photosmart C4100 series but I cannot for the life of me get my PC able to print a test page succesfully. Could anyone please talk me through the process with easy to follow instructione. I would be most grateful.

1. Add your printer normally as if its attached to your machine.
  2. Once added, right click on properties then on the ports tab.
  3. Click add port, choose Standard TCP/IP Port, click New Port.
  4. Enter 192.168.1.253 as the IP address, and anything you like as the name.
  5. Click Custom, then Settings.
  6. Choose LPR as protocol Queue Name: LPT1 check LPR byte counting as enabled, click ok.
  7. Finish the wizard.
This might work, I know with V1 of the hub it was a pia, something to do with bi-directional printing. 
Personally I would spend £20 on a USB\Ethernet print server..
Borodin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Brilliant..it works !! many many thanks. Just to be a complete idiot it didn't recognise my printer in the listings and it was only when I told it that I had a Photosmart 8400 series that it connected. My system is Vista 64bit and although I have downloaded the appropriate drivers to my PC I couldn't get the wizard to find them. So I have one last question...if I had the correct printer and drivers selected would that allow me to scan as well ?? at the moment I have no scanning facilities via my PC........any advice on that one would be the icing on the cake !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
geaves
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Borodin wrote:

Brilliant..it works !! many many thanks. Just to be a complete idiot it didn't recognise my printer in the listings and it was only when I told it that I had a Photosmart 8400 series that it connected. My system is Vista 64bit and although I have downloaded the appropriate drivers to my PC I couldn't get the wizard to find them. So I have one last question...if I had the correct printer and drivers selected would that allow me to scan as well ?? at the moment I have no scanning facilities via my PC........any advice on that one would be the icing on the cake !

Smiley Very Happy sorry you don't get the cherry on the cake let alone the icing, however, using a cheap print server just might allow that....btw setting it up the way you did will it print more than 1 page at a time, cos the old v1 hub wouldn't.

Brummagemartin
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

geaves

I give you 10 out or 10 and buy you a pint for your post and give it ago myself.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Borodin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Yes it does print more than one page at a time. Shame about the scanner but I think there's a problem with Vista 64 bit and HP....The HP solution centre says I have no HP products connected and automatically switches itself off. More research needed I think.....

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Borodin wrote:

Yes it does print more than one page at a time. Shame about the scanner but I think there's a problem with Vista 64 bit and HP....The HP solution centre says I have no HP products connected and automatically switches itself off. More research needed I think.....

Well at least thats an improvement over the v1 hub....shot in the dark, all network printers particularly HP have a web interface, try typing in 192.168.1.253 into a web browser, there just 'might' be something that you can enable for the scanner, but it might be restriction of the usb on the hub. 

0 Ratings