Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 30

Connecting an extension socket to the master socket

Go to solution

Can anyone tell me the correct wiring to add an extension socket?  I have a single master socket which has just been connected to broadband.  I've run a wire from the back of this socket to a new socket elsewhere in the house.  I connected pin A at the master to pin 5 at the extension and pin B at the master to pin 2 at the extension.  There are also 2 wires connected to a terminal E which I have not connected at the extension(possibly pin 3) but this makes no difference.  A telephone works fine in the extension but the BTHub4 flashes orange permanently after boot.

Any advice would be welcome.

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Connecting an extension socket to the master socket

Go to solution

your extension socket should be wired to the back of the detachable master faceplate to terminals 2&5.  you should not star wire to the incoming BT wires as that will have adverse affect on your broadband  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution
Will try that tomorrow. I did an electrical test between B - 2 & A -5 on the master(test) and there is 0 ohms resistance. What's the difference with the detachable plate?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

the extensions should be connected to the terminals on the faceplate as that enables you to connect to test socket and eliminate all your internal wiring which is essential when checking your broadband conenction.  in addition the bt incoming wires on the back of the master belong to openreach.  connecting to terminals A&B is star wiring and will just cause problems with any broadband conenction and should you need an openreach engineer then he would disconnect the wires and may connect to faceplate or may not connect them as that is customers responsibilty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

The dropline to the junction box, and then to the back of the master socket is ALL the property of BT Openreach and it is illegal to touch it. Any extentions you wish to make must be made to the back of the faceplate. This way, should you have any problems on your line, all of your internal wiring can be isolated from the bt line. Please note that the faceplate plugs into the test socket...........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

Smiley WinkMust learn to type quicker.........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

I hear what you're both saying here and I am going to try this but, electrically, what is the difference?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution
Don't understand 'electrically'

Connecting to main A and B is star wired and is more likely to cause line interference resulting in broadband problems. Internal extensions should be wired to faceplate not main openreach connections. This way you can disconnect all extensions by removing faceplate and test your line direct back to the exchange

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution
nothing should be connected to the A&B terminal as the only connection made there is by Openreach anything else connected there is in breach of your contract all extensions have to be wired to the front plate as they are your responsibility and if line tests are required by Openreach any wiring other then the external wiring will be removed and YOU will be charged there is no electrical difference it is the legality of not tampering with the Openreach connection
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Finally figured it out.  I didn't know that you had to use an ADSL filter on the master socket too and plug the phone into it, Duh!!!  Also connected to the faceplate just to keep BT of my case in the future.

Thanls to all for your advice

0 Ratings