cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Connecting car WIFI to BT Homehub 3

I have a Lexus which has built-in wifi. This can "see" my Homehub3 SSID but, when I select this, and enter in my passphrase, I get the messages "authenticating", then "receiving IP address", and then, after a while, "connection unsuccessful". I have tried disabling the firewall and am positive that I have entered in the correct passphrase, but to no avail. The router Event Log shows the following and I think that this is at the time when the car wifi is trying to connect - can anyone interpret this and perhaps offer a clue as to why I cannot connect?

(829690.140000) Lease requested
20:29:58, 24 Mar. ath0: STA 40:a6:d9:80:2c:81 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
20:29:55, 24 Mar. ath0: STA 64:20:0c:95:c0:01 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting car WIFI to BT Homehub 3

Are you sure that you can connect to the Homehub. Is the wifi on the Lexus not a "wifi hotspot" which means you have a three G sim card in the car that allows you to connect your phone etc to the Internet.

See link about it

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/2013/07/hotspot-brings-wifi-to-your-lexus/#.UzCcxaFFDDc

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

The manual seems pretty clear that the car is a wifi enabled device and should connect to a wifi hotspot just like a PC or tablet would. Furthermore, the menu for connecting is just like a PC or tablet menu in that, after clicking on the SSID, it then asks for the passphrase. Also, the fact that I get the "authentication" and "receiving IP address" messages seems to confirm that I should be able to connect to a router or hotspot. One further piece of evidence is that the link you provided says that the hotspot service is a fairly expensive extra and I am sure that I didn't pay for it. Thanks, anyway for the siggestion.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

The range of your homehub is only a few meters. Once you got out the driveway you would loose connection so I don't see how it can work through your Homehub or what use it would be except if you were within range of a hotspot.

Can you either post a link to the manual or give the details of the vehicle etc so I can have a look.

I take it you are using the wireless passkey that is on the homehub label when you try to connect.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

I dont think you car is intended to connect to your home network. I think from reading the spec that you need to buy a data package for in inbuilt sim and then you connect your devices wifi to your car which then becomes a hotspot

Lexus Hotspot is equipped with a SIM card reader, with WiFi data provided via a SIM card; owners are free to choose their data limit and provider.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Sorry for the tardy response to various posts but I have been trying, without success, to get a definitive answer from Lexus. I take your point that the range of a Homehub is only a few metres and, therefore, wouldn't be any use on the road. However, I assume(d) that one could use it when parked at home to, for example, update the satnav or speed camera databases. These can be quite large (maps of the whole of Europe) and might be expensive to download by mobile phone.

I have now succeeded in getting internet connectivity using my mobile phone but it is painfully slow and hardly a practical proposition. I get the feeling that the internet idea for Lexus cars is more for wow factor than genuinely useful purposes. In short, I am not even going to bother investigating the issue any further, but many thanks for all the responses to my OP.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

I have a similar problem. My Ford Focus will detect my BT Home Hub 5, but when I enter the password from off the back of the hub it is not recognised.

0 Ratings