cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Connecting new BT Hub 6 to YouView Box through Powerline Adapters

Go to solution

I have just had my BT broadband upgraded to Infinity. Got a shiny new BT Smart Hub delivered last Sunday, BT engineer turned up as promised on Tuesday and got the Broadband up and running. Speeds five times greater; all as expected...

However, the new hub will not connect to my existing Youview box. Nothing in my set up has changed, apart from the new router. 

My new router is in the same location as my old one, which worked well for wifi signals throughout the house, and all the cabling was in the right location. My computer is wired in with an etherner cable, and the connection to the YouView Box is via Powerline Adapters (one beside the router, the other downstairs beside the TV).

The old BT Hub 3 worked well on this set-up, but whilst the computer connection (direct to the new router) is fine, the BT 'Smart' Hub does not recognise the Powerline adapter.

In router diagnostics, I can see all the connections, MAC addresses, etc for all devices on WiFi (printer, iPhone, iPad, wife's iPhone, Chromecast Dongle, etc, etc) but only for my PC connected to one of the ports, not for the hard-wired connection to the Powerline Adapter.

I have tried every combination of resetting the YouView box, resetting the Router, the Powerline Adapters, but nothing works, and I can't get any internet content on the TV through the YouView box.

I've also tried replacing the ethernet connecting cables at each end, and I've re-paired the Powerline Adapters.

I sent back the old router (BT Hub 3) for recycling as instructed, but am beginning to regret it - at least it worked!

Am I doing something wrong?

Or is there a problem with Powerline Adapters and the Smart Hub? 

Any suggestions welcome; thanks,

Phil

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connecting new BT Hub 6 to YouView Box through Powerline Adapters

Go to solution

Try turning Smart Setup off, as the hub is expecting a response from a web browser, which the powerline adapter does not have!

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Have you tried connecting a computer to the end of the powerline adapter, the same point where you would connect the YouView box, to see if you get Internet access?

The home hub 3 did not have the smart setup option, which is why it worked.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
I know this is not a solution but I have exactly the same set up as you, only difference is I swapped from a talktalk router and I didn't have to do anything with the power line adapters and you view connected fine.
I did however like the last poster said switch off the smart set up from the start.
It's not the size of the wand but the magic in the stick.
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

That sounds promising, thanks, Keith. 

Trying it at present, but have hit another glitch...

I switched off 'smart' from the hub home page, and after doing a soft restart on the hub, I can no longer connect to the hub...

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, Keith,

Well, I finally got back into the hub, after doing a switch off/switch on routine...

The Smart hub is still off after the restart, but I still can't detect the powerline connection (port three in my case).

I dug our a very long Ethernet cable (30 m) this morning, and tried that; hard wiring works, and the router detects the youview box ok (calls it Humax), but my wife objects to a 30 m cable trailing from the study, downstairs and across the hall and living room to the telly!

I'm just off to try switching everything off together, youview box, router, powerlines, and then switching on again...

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted...

Phil

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, Keith

A big thank you - it works!!

It took a couple of tries at switching off absolutely everything and re-starting, but it now works seamlessly.

Don't know why it didn't connect the first time I tried it after switching off the smart function... I suspect that I had'nt given it sufficient time... - because it didn't work immediately, I thought give it one more try (re-start everything) and went off to do more important things.

That was the answer, as when I came back a half hour later, it was all working fine!

I was dreading the tedium of calling the call centre and spending a merry hour or two getting nowhere...

So WELL DONE KEITH!!

Thanks again,

Phil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thats good Smiley Happy

Smart Setup is fine on devices that have a web browser, but its no good on other network elements. Its a pointless feature that gives people lots of trouble, and is one of the most commonly discussed issues on this forum.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
I'm seeing the same issue. I have recently purchased a Tenda av1000 p1002p power line adapter with ac bypass. When I've connected it up the internet fails to connect and wifi does not work. I have turned off smart setup as described in this guide and it still doesn't work any advice? It works again when I remove the adapter. I'm am looking to improve my internet speeds for pc in an upstairs room.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Is your router and power adapter plugged into different sockets? Power adapters should also be plugged directly into a wall outlet, not a adapter(s)

0 Ratings