cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JollyJed
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Connecting new BT Smart Hub to a Netgear wifi extender?

Is this possible? We literally just got BT infinity installed in our house and i have just set up our BT Smart Hub after previously using a netgear router. Unfortunately a can't work out how to connect our netgear wifi extender to the smart hub and its desperately needed as some family members can't get wifi in their rooms when they could previously! How do i setup the netgear wifi extender with the smart hub? im not really interested in buying the BT wifi extender as the reviews aren't great at all.

Thanks guys!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Connecting new BT Smart Hub to a Netgear wifi extender?

It should work with the Smarthub. Do a factory reset of the extender to clear out the previous settings then set it up as though it was a first time set up. If you can not recall how to do that search for the instructions for your particular device online and follow them to the letter.

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Smarthub as that can stop some devices that don't have a web browser from connecting. 

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
NaomiC
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

I'm having the same problem but re-setting the extender has made things worse!  I seem  to establish a network but my devices cannot access the internet.  Any advice?

0 Ratings
Markn1986
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Hello, 

I have a bought a Netgear Nighthawk Extender AC2200 and I have divided the connections for 2.4ghz and 5ghz but they don't have any internet connection....

I have been pulling my hair out all day - I have disabled Smart Settings in the Hub manager but Netgear says:

"To get the best WiFi performance, we recommend that you change the 5 GHz WiFi channel on your router to a channel between 100 and 165."

Now they I don't have those options in my Hub settings, I am pretty sure I am using a BT Smart Hub...

Any help would be appreciate because I work away from the hub so I need to extend the speeds to my office down in the garden (in the summer house) 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 13

@JollyJed 

You don't say which model you have but I can confirm that the Netgear EX6000 does work with the SH2.

As already advised just factory reset the extender and set it up as new following the user manual.

I didn't need to switch the 5GHz band off on my router when I set mine up

0 Ratings
Markn1986
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Hello,

does anyone have any solutions to the above, it’s doing my head, I don’t know why it’s not connecting!!! 

it’s very annoying, I’m not very technical but I’m hoping someone can give me a quick step by step process, if possible 

thanks 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13

@Markn1986 

Looking online there seems to be a few variants of this model e.g. EX7300, EX7500, EX7700, they're probably all the same but the user manuals may be slightly different (page numbers may differ).

The instructions for connecting the EX7300 to your Wi-Fi network begin on page 6 of the user manual and are probably applicable to all models

I suggest you start with a factory reset of the extender and make sure you're as close as possible to the hub before trying to connect, you can move to where you want it to be once you've got it setup.

Try that and let's know how it goes

0 Ratings
Markn1986
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Thanks, I will give it a go now 

0 Ratings
Markn1986
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Hello, 

Below is the Netgear Nighthawk extender I bought - it's far from simple to set up - I followed the instructions to the letter - I have done a factory reset twice on the extender after trying to connect by WPS and Ethernet.

I even connected via Ethernet and went on my pc to load it the more manual way...

I am pretty sure it's the advanced setting on the BT Hub that needs to be changed!

Any help would be greatly appreciated IMG_1118.jpgIMG_1119.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

That is a very expensive way of increasing wireless range. Range extenders in general, are normally a waste of time, and do not work properly.

I suspect the one you have is probably more suited to be paired with a Netgear router, especially as it mentions a mesh system, which would only work if the router formed part of the mesh. The home hubs cannot do that, but the Netgear Nighthawk range probably do.

A much cheaper option to extend wifi coverage, is to use home hotspots, which generate their own separate wireless network, and do not attempt to repeat an existing one, with reduced throughput.

0 Ratings