Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emptam
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Connecting to BT66 junction box

Hi

I have a BT66 connection box outside my property with screw terminals serving 3 standard internal sockets that appear to be wired in series. I am wanting to install a further socket in my lounge. Can I simply run a second cable from the BT66 box to a new socket without affecting the other 3. Any advice would be helpful

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Connecting to BT66 junction box

No I am afraid that you cannot connect into there as it is Openreach's property. Any wired extensions bust be wired past your main telephone socket.

You need to run a cable from there or from any other extensions you have in the house.

If you have or are thinking of getting Infinity Broadband if you do not connect as advised it will seriously impact your line speed.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
emptam
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi Devon_Dave

I dont have a master socket only three standard sockets wired in series. Was hoping to run a second cable from BT66 with asingle socket connected

0 Ratings
emptam
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

PS The last extension on the run of 3 is too far and inaccessible to get a socket to the lounge from. Can I run a further line from the first socket sfter the BT66

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

You still can't connect to the openreach block terminal. Is there no other alternative, cordless phone?
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
emptam
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Hi

at same time as posting, contacted BT line falt live chat. Just had a call back saying that it is OK to connect to BT66 box and run extension and ok to do it myself as long as the box is not damaged at all

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Hi

I am sorry they have given you the wrong advice, I will flag this to get the mods to advise you of the correct situation.

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

the network and its connections are the property of Openreach not BT Retail any problem that you may have by doing it your self from the BT66 and could place you in breach of BT's terms and conditions
0 Ratings
StephanieG
Community Manager - Retired
Message 9 of 11

Hi emptam,

What the Live Chat people advised isn't correct, I'm sorry. Devon_Dave and john46 are right.

Could you send us your details so we can feed this back? You can find our "Contact us" link by clicking on my username, it's under "About me" on my profile page.

Stephanie

Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Just route the extension from one of the existing sockets. Thats allowed and will not effect the other sockets. Adding more cabling to your circuit may reduce broadband performance if thats also connected to your sockets.

0 Ratings