cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

Connecting to extension socket

Go to solution

Hi all, we have fibre (FTTC) connection, and predictably our master socket is in a really awkward place, so I tried connecting the modem to the extension socket upstairs where the computers are and it does not connect, both DSL and internet lights are off (phone working perfect from that socket with no noise) now I don't really care if the phone works from that socket but woud really like to be able to connect the modem there.

the old master socket looks like this (wires marked X are not connected to anything)

old.jpg

New master socket....

new.jpg

Upstairs socket.....

upstairs.jpg

How can I get the the modem to work from the upstairs socket?

Yes I am aware I can use wireless or power line adaptors, but they are both slow and unrealiable, I am currently using power line adaptors and have speeds of around 25Mbps and the modem is showing a nice steady 79995Kbps.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks all

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Connecting to extension socket

Go to solution

First of all the cable you have ringed on the first picture as going to the upstairs socket is not the cable that is connected at the upstairs socket. The new master socket has a filtered faceplate so any extensions will be filtered. 

I would suspect that the 2 wires connected to the extension socket connect to terminals 2&5 in the removable faceplate of the new master socket. If that is the case, just move them to the data extension terminals.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

as said use data extension socket shown by yellow arrow  and conenct as already suggested test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Yes it's the colours that have me confused, obviously a join I cannot find somewhere and I have looked 😉

From the original master the Orange wires go to the phone line side of new master socket and Blue to the Fibre side, so which are the data extension terminals? do I leave the extension socket connected as is?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

As I said they are shown by yellow arrow. You connect to these 2 terminals and then you your extension sockets terminals 2&5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Just move the orange wires in the new master from terminals 2&5 to the data extension terminals. They are just being fed back to the old master and crimped to another cable which is obviously joined somewhere to yet another cable that appears at the extension socket. Leave the extension as it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks guys it works and still connecting at 73218Kbps, I'm happy with that, and the upstairs phone still works 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Actually it's just gone back up to 79995 Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Great stuff, glad you got it sorted. I assume you are using a filter in the extension to provide an RJ11 socket for the HUB, if not and using an adaptor, you will need a filter if you use the phone as the extension is now unfiltered.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Yes using the old filter on the extension 😉

0 Ratings