cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Connecting two extenders to one router hub. (BT Dual-Band WI-FI Extender 610)

Hello

I previously bought a BT Dual-Band WI-FI Extender 610 a couple of month's ago and is working fine. We decided to buy another one for upstairs and for some reason when I follow the steps provided it does not work even when the other extender is turned off. Sometimes it states it has connected but then it goes back to the lights strolling up and down and is disconnected. 

Sometimes when I finish the steps this message appears-

“The management address may be changed, please use the IP discovery tool to detect management address and log in again”.

I hope somebody can help solve this issues.

Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Connecting two extenders to one router hub. (BT Dual-Band WI-FI Extender 610)

Have you checked the behaviour of the LEDs' against the product guide, it sounds as if you have placed the new extender beyond the range of the router.

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Re: Connecting two extenders to one router hub. (BT Dual-Band WI-FI Extender 610)

Wifi extenders are very poor devices, their location of necessity is always a compromise. Powerline adaptors are a better option or better still a wireless access point connected by Ethernet cable to the router.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Yes, but the thing is that the extender is right next to hub which I don't understand.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Looking at the user guide, it would appear that the units are given a hard coded management IP address of 192.168.1.1. If that cannot be changed, both units will have the same IP address which won't work.

I'm not sure it is possible to have 2 extenders connected to the hub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

I'm not sure what the setup wizard does, but I suspect it may change the IP address from the default as the guide says the browser will be disconnected after configuring. If it does, and the address is selectable, you need to give the 2 devices different addresses.

https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/5110530/1506325540/redirect/1/filename/3907%20Wi-Fi%20...

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 17

@licquorice wrote:

Looking at the user guide, it would appear that the units are given a hard coded management IP address of 192.168.1.1. If that cannot be changed, both units will have the same IP address which won't work.

I'm not sure it is possible to have 2 extenders connected to the hub.

Hi.

The Extenders do use a default IP of 192.168.1.1 but this is only until they successfully connect to a router, then will get an IP address via DHCP. After this you can use http://mybtdevice.home instead to navigate to the web interface.

Have you tried connecting to your router using the web interface, manual method? Go to Wireless Setings and choose manual connection, then enter the SSID, security type (most likely WPA2-AES) and password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

@Dan-O Is it possible to give the devices static addresses directly via the management page, that would seem a more stable configuration.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 17

@licquorice wrote:

@Dan-O Is it possible to give the devices static addresses directly via the management page, that would seem a more stable configuration.

Yes you can do this - via the Network page.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

@Dan-O wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Yes you can do this - via the Network page.

@Mquinn92 In that case I suggest you configure the devices as 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.20

0 Ratings