Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 12

Connection Data on Home Hub Incorrect?

I thought HH2 showed data transmitted since the last restart.  If that's right, the download total shown on mine is out by a factor of around 10 compared with the Usage Monitor. Upload figures are in the same ball park. I'm satisfied that the monitor reading is consistent with our usage, so there's no service issue.

Here are the latest readings, with the monitor showing download of 9.19GB in 9 days and the hub claiming 2.56 in 22+:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG    

Any ideas, even if it's just that I've got the wrong end of the stick? A misplaced decimal point maybe?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Connection Data on Home Hub Incorrect?

What about your uploads, they are added to the downloads to give BT`s usage figure.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

I think the Hub's readings may reset every day. This is maybe because the Usage online gets updated daily so it must take that day's reading from the hub and then reset it... just me guessing but it would make sense 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

What about your uploads, they are added to the downloads to give BT`s usage figure.

The upload and download figures are shown separately in both the monitor and the hub. The upload readings are 0.42GB in 9 days (monitor) and 1.02GB in 22 days (hub); those figures are consistent with each other. The discrepancy is in the download.

To put it another way the total usage for 9 days shown by the monitor is 9.61GB, while the total for the same 9 days plus the previous 13 is only 3.58GB according to the hub. That's simply impossible.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

@jonjoyceuk wrote:

I think the Hub's readings may reset every day. This is maybe because the Usage online gets updated daily so it must take that day's reading from the hub and then reset it... just me guessing but it would make sense 😉

I don't think so. That would mean about 3.5GB used during the night with no devices operating.

The hub records data traffic in real time. To demonstrate, here's the current reading taken about 7 hours after the one in my previous post:

Capture3.JPG

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

@pottyperson wrote:

@jonjoyceuk wrote:

I don't think so. That would mean about 3.5GB used during the night with no devices operating.

The hub records data traffic in real time. To demonstrate, here's the current reading taken about 7 hours after the one in my previous post:

Capture3.JPG

Hi.

This is one of the reasons a hub usage figures can't be trusted. I can give you mine as another example.

The hub is showing a connection of just over 3 days, and a usage of 2.6GB down, 0.18GB up - the online meter shows 2.24GB down and 0.16GB up, that's for 9 days.

Some of the hub can be due to BTVision iPlayer access (not included in the online meter of course), and also internal network with printing etc.

I believe either the connection time or the data usage figures can be reset independently in the hub due to various reasons.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

Thanks AN. So the answer is that the hub info cannot be trusted because it's not possible to determine when it last started counting. Not surprising really, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

When comparing Hub information with the usage monitor it is advisable to monitor both on a daily basis and compare the usage figures for each day (by subtracting day 1 readings from day 2 readings, day 2 from 3 etc for both sets of readings)

See this thread for a more complete description.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Going-over-10MB-limit/m-p/438761#M16880

This mechanism eliminates some of the baseline problems and should give consistent results between the two sets of  data assuming the Hub has not re- connected etc. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@vofsanity2 wrote:

When comparing Hub information with the usage monitor it is advisable to monitor both on a daily basis and compare the usage figures for each day (by subtracting day 1 readings from day 2 readings, day 2 from 3 etc for both sets of readings)

See this thread for a more complete description.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Going-over-10MB-limit/m-p/438761#M16880

This mechanism eliminates some of the baseline problems and should give consistent results between the two sets of  data assuming the Hub has not re- connected etc. 

My query wasn't that complex; it was just that the readings were inconsistent and I wondered why. The answer is that, contrary to my understanding, the hub does not necessarily show usage from its last restart because its data counter is liable to be reset without a restart of the hub. In other words, "Data Transmitted/Received" does not always mean during the "Connection time" shown above it; the period may be shorter than that.

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

pottyperson,

Your screen images seem to have disappeared from this thread is it possible to get them back again ?

Also regarding the discrepancy between the HomeHub and the usage monitor is it possible that the connection time is actually the time the HH has been connected to the exchange  while the data readings on the Hub is for the time it has been connected to the internet ?

0 Ratings