cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 7

Connection a Adsl router to a Vdsl router.

Go to solution

Hi folks, I've connected my Netgear D6200 Adsl router to my BT Hub6 using the method described in this thread - https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Configure-Home-Hub-5-as-modem-only/m-p/1437081#M...

Speedtests on BT Wholesale using ethernet leads only shows the speeds are the same on both routers @ 52 mbps down and 10 mbps  up. Everything (BT Tv, Youview, NowTv etc.) works fine when I connect using the Negear indluding the Dlna for home networking.

My question is - is it safe to connect an Non Vdsl router to a Vdsl router at those speeds ?

Cheers,

Del.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connection a Adsl router to a Vdsl router.

Go to solution
Not entirely sure what you mean by "safe", but it's an entirely legitimate thing to do.
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice,

I'm wondering if the Adsl (Non vdsl) router is capable of maintaining the high connection rates without burning out or becoming a fire risk ?

Del.

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The limiting factor on any ethernet network is the connection speed and capabilities of the slowest router, in the chain/route.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks PheeragHfre,

So are you saying that the Non Vdsl (Netgear d6200) would not connec at those rates if is wasn't capable,therefore it doesn't present a fire risk ?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Standard Ethernet is 100Mbs and most routers these days have 1000Mbs ports. Routers are not just used for connecting to the internet, they interconnect devices within your LAN at much higher speeds than your VDSL connection and are perfectly safe.
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice,

That's what I wanted to know.

Del.

0 Ratings