Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattyf-1
Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Connection dropouts - AGAIN

Ok I understand.

What I don't get is how the noise margin will lower, is it the constant steady connection that then enables the noise margin to decrease and thus the speed and profile.

Like I said, it had been much quicker for years until the issues on Xmas eve.

Is it the exchange that sets the noise margin dependant on connection stability etc ?

Can I monitor the noise on HH 4? I can't see where.

Thanks again for the advice
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 27

providing the connection remains stable then the noise margin will drop to the new 3 db level and your connection speed and IP profile will then rise yes it is the exchange equipment that controls that

As to monitoring your noise margin with the HH4 you can find the noise margin in the router logs as you posted earlier
0 Ratings
mattyf-1
Contributor
Message 13 of 27

Ok

I am sure that I had the higher speeds for years at a higher noise margin ? Must be mistaken then.

Theoretically, if all stays stable I should return to where I was previously, do you agree ?

I won't pester you again for a few days I promise !!
0 Ratings
mattyf-1
Contributor
Message 14 of 27

I can only see the margins following a reset can't i ?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

Yes that is all you would see normally
0 Ratings
mattyf-1
Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Thanks for the advice! What puzzles me is what has caused this after years of great connection and why my sync speed has lowered.

What speed should I expect when it settles down, surely I should get back up to my pre trouble speed ?

I am sure I had better speeds before at a higher noise margin ?

Any thoughts ?
0 Ratings
mattyf-1
Contributor
Message 17 of 27

To follow up on my last post, I have just looked at posts I made last year regarding a similar issue and indeed I was getting a far higher DL sync speed at the higher noise margin. An earlier post in 2010 (pre ADSL 2+ ) was sync at a similar speed to now at the higher NM ?

BT have recently been fitting the new green box ready for Infinity , could that have caused an issue ?

My worry is that even if I sort i drop outs that my sync speed will not improve since my noise margin is at the standard 6dB ?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 27

you cannot compare ADSLMAX and ADSL2+ they are different systems and exchange equipment
if the line remains stable you should see the noise margin drop to the new 3db level but it will take time

As to the install of the infinity cabinet that has no effect at all it is a completely separate network and you will not be connected to the cabinet unless you move to infinity
0 Ratings
mattyf-1
Contributor
Message 19 of 27

Sorry to keep asking daft questions, I probably sound a bit thick !

What I don't get is how before Xmas eve when the phone line started to go out and connection began to drop was I able to get a sync of 10.9 meg at a higher noise margin than I am currently getting with the 6dB margin (6.4ish )?

I have had the 10.9 sync since I went over to ADSL 2+ last year.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 27

because of the disconnections your speed has been reduced to stabilise also the line condition will have changed possibly due to water damage just maintain the stable connection and the connection will improve for now all you can do is wait
0 Ratings