Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treacle_bob
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Connection dropped

Go to solution

Hi all. Recently upgraded from Broadband to Inifinity. I have the standard BT cable modem by the phone socket, connected using powerline Ethernet to a wireless router in the lounge, using PPPoE. All works fine, and gives good speed, but the router log shows that the connection is periodically dropped, e.g.

[Internet connected] IP address: 86.152.6.249, Sunday, Aug 18,2013 12:42:29
[Internet disconnected] Sunday, Aug 18,2013 12:42:19

This can happen a dozen times a day, especially at the weekend, but once or twice a day is more common. The connection is always re-established quickly, but messes up our Vodafone microcell, which takes several minutes to recover. Not sure whether the cable modem is dropping the connection, or the router. I've tried asking BT Technical Support, but it's difficult to get past the first line people, so I'd appreciate an opinion from any techs on here. Is it usual for the connection to be dropped?

I guess my options to investigate further are to put the HomeHub back into the equation, and disable PPPoE (does the HomeHub have any useful logging?), or to replace the powerline Ethernet with a long run of UTP.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connection dropped

Go to solution

Hi treacle_bob

There's a couple of steps you can try to fix this list on our webiste via www.bt.com/help

Specifically here.

give these steps a try and let me know how you get on 🙂

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
treacle_bob
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the link. For my modem, most of the suggestions seem to relate to interference. I've tried plugging the modem into a surge-protected mains extension, and I've moved some other kit that might conceivably cause RFI. This seems to have made no difference. The connection was still dropped a dozen times over the weekend, although as I write, it's been up for almost 48 hours.

The disconnections mostly happen during the daytime, but they have occurred overnight too, and also while there's no-one at home, so it's difficult to see what might be causing inteference.

I'll try running an Ethernet cable directly from the router to the modem, and temporarily take out the powerline Ethernet, just to be sure that this isn't causing a problem.

Regards

0 Ratings
treacle_bob
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

After lots of time and effort (and some expense), I've finally solved this problem. It was down to the powerline Ethernet being unreliable, and occasionally failing to send data, for anything from a few seconds up to a few minutes. I tried two different pairs of powerline Ethernet adapters (both TP-Link AV500s), and both exhibited the same problem. Maybe it's to do with my house, although it's reasonably new, so the wiring should be sound.

Anyway, the problem has now been solved by getting the BT engineer in to move the master socket onto an extension in the lounge. This allows the wireless router to be connected directly by Ethernet cable. Annoying that I could have had this done for free on the day of installation Smiley Sad

0 Ratings