Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Haitoman1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Connection dropping at regular 7 minute intervals

Hello

I've been having some trouble with my internet since midday on the 11th October. My internet will drop connection for 20seconds every 7 - 8 minutes. After I realised that there was a pattern (7-8mins) I logged onto the BT router and went straight for the event logs. This is what I find each time:

FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 77.249.39.133 Dst ip: 217.39.62.169 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Host Unreacheable

FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules

FIREWALL event (1 of 2): created rules
FIREWALL event (1 of 2): deleted rules

The IP on ICMP Src ip changes each time. Being curious I then tracerouted a few of the IP's as it turns out each one is coming from a different part of the world; New Zealand, Australia, Netherlands,America the list goes on.

Could anyone explain to me what is happening and why it is causing my connection to drop.

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
raymie67
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Connection dropping at regular 7 minute intervals

If the DSL is not dopping but just the internet link then I had this (in my case every 10 minutes) and it was caused by an IP profile being stuck but being above the sync rate and therefore the data volume causing issues that cause the PPP0A connection to drop

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Haitoman1
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the reply raymie67

The DSL is not dropping just the internet link is. (The broadband light doesn't turn orange stays blue)

I am able to fix this IP profile being stuck & above the sync rate myself? If so can you explain how, this is very frustrating.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

run btspeedtester and this will show if profile high for connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 5 of 12

the PPP0A issue, as it indeed sounds like, could be caused by issues with BT retail servers as well as your own profile but with noone else posting similar issues it is quite likely to be an issue affecting just yourself and the IP profile above sync speed is the only thing I have seen to cause this.

One test as well as the BT speedtester is to not use your connection for any downloads, in my case that stopped the issue happening every 10 minutes and instead could be hours in between but as soon as I maxed out the connection again it went back to every 10 minutes.

Whatever the cause it is likely that you need to contact the mods, you may find the issue goes away after 3 days but you may not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Haitoman1
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

BT Speedtester:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1367 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.

Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1792 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1500 Kbps

My internet connection is normal for how far I live away from the exchange 1000 - 2000Kbps is fine for what I need the internet for and understand it's the best i'm going to get however this frequent connection loss needs to be fixed.

After giving you this information can you tell if my IP profiile is above sync speed?
Again I must ask, is there anything I can do on my end to fix this? (I have phoned BT and they're just as clueless as me I am now waiting for a call tomorrow morning from a technician)

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

your btspeedtester results look fine and the profile is correct for your conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 8 of 12

On the router logs along with the firewall resetting do you see any other messages,specificallly anything mentioning PPP, PPP0A or CHAP?

0 Ratings
Haitoman1
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Nowhere on the router logs does it have any mention of PPP, PPP0A or CHAP. Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Are you seeing the IP address changing often, not always every time but often?

0 Ratings