cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strange-Rover
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Connection dropping out.

A couple of weeks ago I started having broadband issues, the home hub 2 would drop out leading to my laptop and mobile to loose wifi connection, I got a replacement hub which was OK for a couple of days but then that started dropping out too.  The new hub was installed using the new wire and microfilter that came with it.

The old hub would lose wired and wireless connections but the new hub (still home hub 2) keeps its wired connection if there was already an active wired connection when the wireless drops but also drops the wired connection if there wasn't an active connection.

The hub lights stay lit blue and I've given it time to see if the connection comes back but every time I have to restart the hub.

A line check has been performed and came back as there being no problems and I hope someone can offer help before I have an engineer visit with the risk of a large financial outlay if the problem is my side of main phone point.  Both hubs are in the location that the old hub had been for over a year with no problem and I've tried unplugging my landline in case that was causing issues, my main (only) phone point is a flate plate, not the type with the test socket.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Connection dropping out.

Welcome to this customer to customer forum.

To enable forum members to help you, please could you look at Helping forum members to help you which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.
When you have done that, please post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Strange-Rover
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

The ADSL stats are

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:27:07
Downstream8,128 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.1 dB / 27.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)7.0 dB / 5.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)9.8 dBm / 11.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0

The up time is since the last restart I had to do due to the isues.

The speed test results were

Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.93 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional
Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),
0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

hi your connection looks fine it looks more like a wireless problem this link may help http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hub3_wireless.html
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Your broadband connection is fine. Can you see if you lose connection if you avoid using wireless and only use Ethernet, as its very easy to overload the wireless and cause the home hub to lock up so it needs a restart.

0 Ratings
Strange-Rover
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Keith, I'm only running one laptop and my Galaxy s3 on the wifi but I'll try putting the phone onto mobile network so its just the laptop connecting wirelessly.

It does appear strange that just the phone and laptop would cause the issue as in the past I've had three wireless computer connections and two mobiles on wifi without issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

It could be wireless interference which was not present before. Have you tried a different wireless channel, say channel 11?

0 Ratings
Strange-Rover
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

I'd already changed the channel between various channels to test in case it was interfence but with no luck (guess I should have said that earlier but the brain isn't thinking clearly at the mo), I've got a wifi analyser app on my phone and my current channel (13) has nothing else on it other then BT WiFi-with-FON and BT WiFi which I'm guessing is from my hub.

The next strongest channel is a home hub 3 on channel 1 but its approx half the strength of my wifi.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

There is a known issue with the hub 2 power units which go faulty and generate a noisy supply. Where did the replacement home hub 2 come from?

The other thing that can cause lockup is the IDS log overflowing, which is often caused by P2P applications or sometimes Skype.

Can you take a look at the home hub 2 event logs and see if you can see a lot of IDS events.

Wireless channel 13 can give issues with certain devices, have you tried channel 11?

BT wifi and FON simply share your existing channel by radiating two additional SSIDs.

0 Ratings
Strange-Rover
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

The replacement hub came direct from BT and was packaged up suggesting it was a new unit.

n the time of both hubs playing up I've not used skype or anything like it and the error log doesn't display any IDS events.

I've now switched to channel 11 so I'll give it time to see how it goes, thanks for your help so far.
0 Ratings