Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dippy12
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Connection drops every minute or so.

Right so basically I'm playing PS3 online, and then my connection goes "connection interupted". Now I had this before, and changing the wireless channel fixed it, but now it happens quite frequently. If I change the channel to something else, then this fixes it but i'm not actually sure whether its the channel changing or the fact that the router restarts.

I have my laptop on all the time. I though it was a new wireless mouse that I bought that caused it but even without it seems fine. There is also a new iPad in the house but the problems started significantly after we got it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: Connection drops every minute or so.

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

you can also try changing the wireless in the hub from b/g/n to just b/g unless all your devices are 'n' rated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 32

So is the wireless just dropping or the physical broadband connection?

You can try downloading INSSIDER on your PC and looking at what wireless channels are and aren't congested, although I always think Channel 12 or 13 are good ones, less devices use these and it is outside of the UK spectrum of 'Automatic Channel selections'.

0 Ratings
dippy12
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Well i'm not sure whether its the wireless, all I know is I get a connection interruped (call of duty) like every minute or so? It could potentially be wireless but then it could be the broadband. Not sure

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 32

Well if you look in your hub stats: http://192.168.1.254/ and go to A-Z top right, and then ADSL Status, post them and we can see your Connection Uptime.

0 Ratings
dippy12
Contributor
Message 6 of 32

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time30 days, 17:45:14
Downstream7,031 Kbps
Upstream1,048 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)2.6 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)33.5 dB / 17.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 13.0 dBm
is that sufficient?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

with 30 day connection time it would appear that your problem is probably wireless dropping out.

it also looks like your exchange has been upgraded to 21cn but you are still on adslmax.  did you get an email from BT about an upgraded to your exchange?  if not then you could try sales 08007830056 and see if they will upgrade your connection to adsl2 which would give a potential of 12mb but you would need to agree a new contract.

if sales won't help then you could try the mods  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 32

Seems a little strange to me that he's on a noise margin that low IMJ? And considering the Upstream speed is all right...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

this is normal stats for someone where the exchange has been upgraded but the OP has not.  the updtream get the adsl2 benefit but the downstream stays as if on adslmax.  need upgraded to 21cn and probably mod help to achieve it

0 Ratings
dippy12
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

Well theres no sign of an upgrade offered anywhere. Anyway, isnt it all irrelevent, does anyone have any ideas or fixes to the problem or anything else they want me to do?

0 Ratings