cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukepker
Beginner
Message 1 of 33

Connection drops when playing online

Hey i just moved to BT broadband 4 days ago, i have setup my BT home hub with 2 computers and an xbox 360, but whenever i try to play battlefield bad company 2 online (PC) My connection drops within 20 seconds of joining a server, i have disabled UPnP and DMZ, but it still causes my connection to drop, i can download/upload fine without any issues, but whenever i try to join a server on battlefield it causes a drop, can anybody help?

thanks.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/746073887.png

edit:

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:10:30
Downstream4,571 Kbps
Upstream1,075 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.3 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)39.0 dB / 20.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)12
Loss of Signal (Local)19
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)266 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1110
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Guru
Message 2 of 33

Re: Connection drops when playing online

Hi lukepker

If you only joined BT broadband 4 days ago, your line may not have stabilised yet.

You will have been informed in your documention that for the broadband to function correctly, it needs to go through a line training period, possible taking anything up to 10 days to complete.

Assumptions about line performance cannot be ascertained before this period is up.

Also be aware that frequent disconnection and hub restarting during this period will have an adverse effect on your broadband service.

If you still have issues after this time, post back in with details.

lukepker
Beginner
Message 3 of 33

Thanks for the reply, i did a little research and found out that it most likely is due to high performance games causing the conneciton to drop, i guess i will just have to wait.

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 33

the problem is actually going to keep happening with the hub ubtill you either open the required prots for the game or disable the hubs firewall/nat, i realise this sounds perhaps a bit daft but the hub gets overloaded by the game trying to send data on the ports which are closed by defualt and instead of enabling them the hub just falls over as a defence mechanism.

most games actually only send small ammounts of data up/down the line at any given time, there whole world view is on your desktop and managed by your pc so its just position info and trading shots that gets transmitted.
0 Ratings
lukepker
Beginner
Message 5 of 33

Well thats the thing, i tried opening the ports but it didnt help, im going to try again though, i thought it was kind of odd because i can play other games such as counter strike source and league of legends without any problems.

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 33

yeah but every game uses differnt ports and iirc you have to either add them in from the app sharing bit or through dmz not through both, althoug hi do remeber something about doing it through the devices page (the app sharing is on the bottom of the page when you have selected a device) so my first bit of real advice would be read the manual that came with the hub, before doign anythign (messing with the router will likley cause ip profile problems later on) and then try and see what happens. then mossy over to the games forum and check out the home hub threads to see what the master class fix for it is:p
0 Ratings
lukepker
Beginner
Message 7 of 33

I added all the ports needed and tested them, i still get connection drops though, it isnt just battlefield anymore, im getting it on battleforge aswell now.

need help fast please.

thanks.

edit: i was looking around and i found this, i noticed i was getting alot of upstream errors.

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:10:30
Downstream4,571 Kbps
Upstream1,075 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.3 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)39.0 dB / 20.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)12
Loss of Signal (Local)19
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)266 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1110
0 Ratings
Richmondv3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Hi,

when you say you joined BT 4 days ago, is that joined from a different company or another contract?

Thanks

0 Ratings
lukepker
Beginner
Message 9 of 33

We previously had TalkTalk, never had any problems like this with them.

0 Ratings
Richmondv3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Im currently trying to get help and answers from mods.

What website did you use to get your line stats?

Thanks

0 Ratings