cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maidencrew
Message 1 of 6

Connection issues - both wireless and wired!

Getting near the end of my tether here! Before xmas I was having constant problems with my hub voyager's broadband light continually flashing orange.  Eventually a technician arrived and to cut a long story short suggested it was to do with my ethernet cable that ran underflooring for 8 feet from computer to main phone socket, and suggested moving the hub next to phone socket and buying a wireless adapter.

This I have done and its worse.  For about 4-5 hours a day if I'm lucky I can connect, but after about 4pm no chance.  My hub remains fully lit at all times but a wireless connection sometimes flashes on for a few minutes then off it goes again.  BT help kicks in but even that gives up after numerous attempts.  During these times I have tried to connect my sons laptop to hub with cable and it does connect but is so slow its a waste of time.

Have racked my brains to think of any interference and there is nothing nearby.  My husband works shifts and will often try to connect at 4am, when believe me nothing else electrical or otherwise is on, but he can still not connect wirelessly.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated but please be gentle as I am an amateur when it comes to computer talk!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connection issues - both wireless and wired!

try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. Then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

if you want can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected to the master or test socket or somewhere else?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
maidencrew
Message 3 of 6

Thanks have changed channel on hub.

Download speed 4933 kbps

Upload speed 638 kbps

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 5:26:36
Downstream7,523 Kbps
Upstream784 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.6 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)45.0 dB / 25.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.7 dBm / 12.2 dBm

Please bear in mind. I can usually get a connection at this time of day. After 4pm is another thing!  Thanks for reply.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

can you go back to hub and 'more detail' then post the errors shown.

are you connected to master or test socket?  do you have extension phone sockets?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
maidencrew
Message 5 of 6

hope this is it?

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.4 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)45.0 dB / 25.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)20.7 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 94
CRC Errors (Down/Up)891 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 456989
Error Seconds (Local)747

Am connected to master socket.  One other extensions in house with new adsl filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

can you run btspeedtester and post the results  your stats look ok

0 Ratings