Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 19

Connection issues - possible wiring problem

Go to solution

Hi all,

Had broadband installed last year, and a BT engineer came to do the wiring at the master socket. Since then we've had a great download sync speed, but in reality it is intermittent and doesn't do well with anything involving streaming. The upload speed on the other hand is absolutely rubbish, only going between 10-50kbps. I would expect us to have almost a perfect connection seeing as the exchange is only a few doors down the road!

Here are my line stats with 17 hours uptime:

SNR Margin (dB)3.46.2
Attenuation (dB)631
Output Power (dBm)20.512
Attainable Rate (Kbps)20508 kbps412 kbps
Rate (kbps)17914 kbps412 kbps
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)15519
R (number of check bytes in RS code word)146
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)011
D (interleave depth)962
Delay (msec)65
FEC6635041048543
CRC998851935
Total ES970
Total SES200
Total UAS00
Total LOSS00

To eliminate any possible wiring issues i checked the extensions and these aren't wired up at all since we have no use for them, and then checked whether everything was good behind the master socket, which lead me to posting here. I was under the impression that terminals 2 and 5 should have wires in them possibly 3 as well as a bell wire, however in my case there are wires in terminals 5 and 3... could this explain the poor performance? There also seems to be the remnants of a blue cable in the 5th socket as well. I know i am not allowed to touch anything that side of the master socket but if anyone can advise on whether this could be the issue then i can ring up BT and try to arrange a visit from an engineer. Here is a picture of the master socket if that helps, and also shows all of the wires coming from the drop cable (orange, black, green, white): 

IMG_5097.JPG

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Connection issues - possible wiring problem

Go to solution

the connection should be as you say - using termnal 2&5 and 3 is bellwire and can be discomnencted.  broadband will work with 1 wire connected but your phone needs both conencted so if you try a phone into the filter you should have no dial tone

the green wire looks like it previously was conencted to terminal 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

You are only working on one wire, Orange and white are a pair and green and black are a pair. Remove the orange wire and replace green wire in terminal 2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick response - we don't have a phone but would the broadband benefit from plugging the green wire into 2?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Of course, it is not connected properly at the moment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

I am really surprised with the conenction speed you currently have with only 1 wire conencted

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for your help will report back later.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Sounds like your wiring is a complete mess. Move the orange wire to terminal 2 and see if that works any better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

I don't think that i want to interfere with the wires.... maybe this is a job for an openreach engineer after all. will give them a call tomorrow and see if an engineer will come out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Is the Black wire connected to 5?

As suggested connect the Green wire to terminal 2, then test the connection.

If successful try removing the other wire and test again.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)