cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vadimohrimenko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Connection keeps dropping exactly every 30 minutes when a certain laptop is connected

Go to solution

This has been going on since we got our connection set up and is really frustrating. I've tried restarting the whole setup HH3.0 + the open reach modem. Checked all the cables, resetting all the settings etc.

One thing that we found is that it only happens when one of the laptops is connected to the wireless network(this one was used by the engineers to create the initial setup). If this laptop isn't connected there are no problems at all, I've tried reinstalling the drivers of the laptop, but that did not help either, also I do not believe its the laptop's fault as it has no such issues with other wi-fi networks. As a household that browses a lot and plays games online it is very, very frustrating to get disconnected every 30 minues. And yes it is precisely 30 minutes every single time.

Can someone help ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Connection keeps dropping exactly every 30 minutes when a certain laptop is connected

Go to solution

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for 20 seconds.

If that doesn't help it would appear to me that the problem is to do with your laptop.

If it is happening every 30 minutes it suggests that something is starting up or switching off and that is causing the signal to drop out. Have you checked to see if you have any tasks set up on the task scheduler that run every 30 mins or your virus checker looking for updates every 30 mins.

Have you tried connecting the laptop by Ethernet and switching off the wireless on it to see if it still happens? 

vadimohrimenko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Connection keeps dropping exactly every 30 minutes when a certain laptop is connected

Go to solution

Thank you for your response. 

Factory reset did not help. 

I've checked for any suspicious running software on the laptop and switched off the antivirus' automatic updates, and checked for anything in the Windows Scheduler, but there was nothing. The problem is still there.

I haven't tried connecting using a cable and switching of the wi-fi though. I've orderd a usb wi-fi dongle and will try with it to see if this will fix it. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Do you have BTDesktop help installed on the laptop? If you do try uninstalling it. It can cause problems on some computers and is not need to connect to the Internet of for anything else on your computer.

0 Ratings
vadimohrimenko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

A clean installation of Windows solved the issue, my guess is that there was some malicious software running in the background and was triggering some defensive behaviour inside the BT router, probably causing it to restart/reset the connection.

Thanks for the help.  

0 Ratings