cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
currymonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Connection keeps dropping out every 15-20 mins

We've been having this issue for about a week now but it's getting more frequent...our connection drops and the router re-sets itself (lights go out then back on).

Our download speed however has actually gone up- a blazing 2.3 meg!!!

We have two computers connected to the router, one is wired and the other is wireless, both are having the same issue.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 5:03:29
Downstream2,656 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.2 dB / 13.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)59.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.6 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1172943 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1988 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)3
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Connection keeps dropping out every 15-20 mins

which hub are you using
0 Ratings
currymonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

V2.0 type A

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

your connection speed is about right for your attenuation and your noise margin is about normal 6db - with the number of connection drops you describe I would have expected it to be a lot higher.

are you connected to master or test socket?  do you have other phone sockets in other rooms?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

The home hub 2 does have some known problems
this link may help you  http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/hh2/hh2_issues.html

0 Ratings
currymonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

We only have one socket in the whole house, I just did a quiet line test and it was kind of quiet, I could still hear a bit of noise but not much.

Our connection speed until recently never really went above 2 meg, 1.8 was about our average but now it's 2.3 when it's actually working.

It hasn't cut out since I got back this evening.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

if you can hear any noise on the quiet line test then you need to report a phone fault to 151 with no mention of broadband.  once fiixed that will help your broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
currymonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Just got off the phone with BT and they say that my line is fine and the fault must be with the broadband equipment, I did the quiet line test again and that's ok now but I'm still getting the drop outs, not as much but they are still happening.

My speed has also dropped back to what is is normally 😞

Having to pay £40+ per month for this is just a rip off...we've had issues before with our internet not working but BT are the only provider around here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Hi could you work through this link and post back the details asked for and we can then help further

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Highlighted
currymonster
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Still having the same problems:

Speed Test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.71 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.78 Mbps

I have the old type of phone socket but it isn't anywhere near a plug socket in my house so plugged into the phone socket is a microfilter and then there is a phone plugged into one part of the filter and the other part has an extension lead linked to the homehub.

The homehub is very slow to connect to and can take about 10 minutes just to get the the ADSL settings.

I have called BT and they say that there is nothing wrong and it must be my equipment...they said this before after we had 3 months of internet problems which didn't get sorted until the BT vans turned up in the village and did their things 🙂

Current ADSL settings:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:08:26
Downstream2,016 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved