cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peetah
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Connection keeps dropping/reconnecting due to "Lease Renewed"

Hello, I've been haaving this issue ever since I got my new BTHomeHub3 I never had it on #2 or even #1 also there are more computers connected to the HomeHub but only mine gets this (including a PC connected using the same Wireless Card

As you can see my lease which is meant to last 1440Minutes is often renwered. Every time it is renewed my internet drops out on this computer

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
raymie67
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connection keeps dropping/reconnecting due to "Lease Renewed"

You could try switching to using a static IP address on the affected machine, then there is no DHCP lease to renew.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Peetah
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Urm, don't know how too

Surely there must be a reason + solituon for this though...

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 4 of 8

the lease on the dynamic IP address woudl normally be renewed before the expiry but not that often so yes there seems to be an issue, if you switch to a static IP address and you still see the interittent loss of connection however then it shows that the error may be with the network card being used and not the hub, from the logs you show there are a few possibilities that could cause the same results I believe.

If you look at google and search for "switch from dhcp to static ip" you may find instructions for changing the settings on your machine but basically in involves going into the network card settings and switching it from dynamic settings to static ones and entering some values based on your routers IP (for the gateway) a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and an ip for the machine that is not in the dynamic range ie 192.168.1.250 perhaps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
raymie67
Expert
Message 5 of 8

BTW should have added, a lease renewal shold not cause an interruption in your connection. That you are getting one sounds more like your machine is being disconnected and reconnected for some reason but it could be one of many things, if you switch to static IP settings then I would suspet you will see the same problem but minus the lease renewals

Then if using a cabled connection try usng a different cable in case the cable is damaged, other then that try using a different port on the hub and see what happens.

If wireless then if no other wireless machine has the issue iti could be your machines card is on the way out, try using a cable connection and seeing if that fixes the issue for the meantime,

Peetah
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Yeah, I am not getting "15:16:07, 29 Jul.(776541.150000) New GUI session from IP 192.168.1.240"

Another machine with the same card doesn't have this issue though and I've tried updating my drivers.

Also I can't run a cable because my PC is about 10M direct to the hub, if I was to run a cable it would need to be like 15M long which I don't want to do 😉

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

If you continue to have this problem, try and reset your Home Hub. It will flush the IP Address and DHCP database within the router.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 8 of 8

I would stringly suggest trying a cable connection even if only for a short period to see if the fault also affects that connection or not. 15m cable should not be an issue, I think that the limit for cat5 is around 100ft or so without having a powered switch.

I doubt that resetting the hub will help if no other machine is affected it looks to me like the affected machine is dropping it's own connection and reconnecting all the time, so it's either a hardware issue (could be drivers but I doubt it) or you have moved something in the path to the router that is interferring with the signal.

Occams razor basiclaly. if you have multiple machines connecting wirelessly to one hub and one machine is playing up then the cause it most likely within that machine or it's signal path.