My connection problems started about 4 weeks ago. At first the broadband would drop out from time to time and the router would fail to resync with the exchange of its own accord. The only way to reestablish a connection was to pick up the phone and dial a number (e.g. 1471). The broadband would then stay connected for a day or so.
Gradually the disconnections became more frequent and as a result the IP Profile and connection speed started to drop. At this time I started to notice crackling noises on the line whenever the router was trying to connect. By dialling 17070 and selecting quiet line test I was able to monitor these noises. Sometimes after a few minutes the router would resync and establish a connection. However, on putting the phone down the connection would be lost again almost immediately.
At this stage I decided it would be a good idea to eliminate our own equipment. I connected the router and a corded phone to the test socket with a brand new ADSL filter. This made no difference. I then tried a different corded phone with no effect. Finally I changed the router from a Home Hub 1 to a Home Hub 2. Still the disconnections and line noise persisted.
Having eliminated our own equipment and extension wiring I decided to phone BT to report a fault. BT acknowledged that there had been a fault with the broadband and that they had now rectified it. Unfortunately, an hour or so after this assurance from BT the problems started again. By this time, a connection couldn't even be guaranteed by making a phone call to 17070. At times the line noise was becoming louder.
After contacting BT again and going through the same set of questions and another line test, I was told that there was no longer a problem with the line. I decided that I was getting nowhere with the call centre so booked an engineer to visit.
After waiting over a week and having spent hours on the phone to BT, two engineers arrived on Tuesday afternoon. They changed the wiring from the roof to the master socket. The master socket was replaced, the ADSL filter renewed and the Home Hub 1 replaced with a new Home Hub 3. The engineers went and all seemed well. My IP Profile was back up to 1.5 meg (just about the best achievable with our line length) and the connection speeds were good. However, after about 3 hours the connection dropped again with the same symptoms as before.
I contacted the call centre again and they ran another line test. Apparently, no fault with the line, but, like before, the broadband mysteriously started working again for a few hours. Does the line test have the ability to temporarily clear a fault?
I have now cannot get a connection at all and have had no BT broadband service since Wednesday evening. Again I contacted the call centre and they are sending out another engineer on Wednesday.
Does this sound like it could be a high resistance fault?
Thanks for reading.
It does sound like a high resistance fault. If you have noise on you phone line its best to simply report it as a noise fault, and not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it gets other departments involved, which complicates the situation.
A line test, or simply ringing you phone number, can temporarily clear a HR fault.
It needs a full "Quality Check" on your line, to check and re-terminate any joints.
Hi Keith, thanks for the reply.
Am I in a position to ask the engineer to do a full "Quality Check"? Unfortunately I already have the problem reported as both a broadband and a line fault. I can see that this may complicate the situation.
If the next engineer visit doesn't solve matters I will contact the forum moderators. The team in India didn't seem to know what a high resistance fault was. As soon as they got the 'all clear' from the line test they were quickly blaming my own equipment again which, as I told them, has all been replaced in the last week!
Its unlikely the first line support would know what to tell Openreach, as it usually a process that takes place with "repeat faults".
It can be due to corroded "crimp" joints, where its not possible to open the connection up. Usually the joint is simply replaced with more modern crimp connectors, that do not normally suffer from corrosion. Its a very quick thing to do.
If you do have any difficulty then
If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to ask Openreach to do it.
They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team
They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.
Thanks Keith. I decided to try phoning my own number to see what would happen and I was surprised when the connection suddenly came back to life. I will see how long it lasts for. Obviously an IP Profile of 0.14 isn't particularly useful, so it would be an advantage to get my line sorted.
I will see how I get on with the engineer on Wednesday and I will tell them what you said about the corroded joints. Hopefully they will go and investigate. If not I will follow your advice and contact the BT Care Team.