cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TUX
Contributor
Message 1 of 37

Connection problems for 6 months !

Long story short, we've had issues with our "broadband" since August 2017, constant hub resets and slow speeds on an already terrible slow line. Sick of doing the tango with customer service and tired of getting told "a fault was found and a fault was fixed" for it to be the same old same a few hours later. I pay the same as your superfast fibre customers yet im marooned in the 1990s.

I've had at least 4 engineer visits of which the last 2 were incorrectly sent out to fix the phone line instead of broadband and obviously couldn't help, I've had a phone call yesterday asking me if the problem had been resolved before the work had even been carried out and now I've had a text saying my new hub is on its way, I didn't order a new hub as its been replaced already !

I phoned to check the fault was still live due to last call and they have no record of BT making the call to me nor do they recognise their own bloody number. So you get the picture, I've lost confidence, here is my final port of call before I go down the road of compensation and cancelling the contract.

I dont want fault finding tips thanks, I know them all inside out. I just want a MOD on here to tell me the correct status of my case and what exactly is being done to fix it, some clarity please ?

Thanks

36 REPLIES 36
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Connection problems for 6 months !

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

They can look at the fault history.

I am assuming that there is no noise on your phone line when you run the quiet line test?

What connection speed were you promised when you started your contract?

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 3 of 37

Hi @TUX,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your connection. We can certainly look into everything for you. Please bear in mind that we may need to send an engineer out after we've run all of our tests from our side.

To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then on contact the mods.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Hi Keith thanks for that, quiet line test seems ok apart from the odd click. I believe there was "battery" on the line recently but that's not the issue now.

When the broadband drops and i happen to be on the phone I can faintly hear the modem reconnecting, no idea if that's relevant.

As for promised speeds I can't remember, I'll guess at 2.5meg and a reduced rate was agreed because of the poor speeds, still charged full price upon billing though !

I'm getting 0.4 meg down at the moment and 0.1 up, magic !

Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068543+NQ44325803
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:07:22
6. Data rate: 448 / 3136
7. Maximum data rate: 1016 / 3200
8. Noise margin: 18.0 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation: 31.5 / 56.8
10. Signal attenuation: 31.5 / 54.7
11. Data sent/received: 17.2 MB / 93.5 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-N5T7
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub5-N5T7
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall: Default
23. MAC Address: d0:84:b0:e5:98:08
24. VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
25. Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
26. Latency type: Interleaved
27. Software variant: AA
28. Boot loader: 1.0.0
0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Thanks Daniel, I've submitted the details except for my account number as I can't find the paperwork just now.
PaddyB
Message 6 of 37

Hi @TUX,

Thank you for sending in your details. I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with your connection. I gave your home number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today.

I've run a few checks on your line and your connection is really unstable. The test I've run are showing a lot of interference on your line (REIN).

Do you have any extension active in your house? Have you tried connecting directly to the test socket to rule out any possible issues with your internal wiring?

In your post you said "When the broadband drops and I happen to be on the phone I can faintly hear the modem reconnecting, no idea if that's relevant.", this could indicate an issue with your micro filter. Do you have another one you can test with?

I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today, I'm in the office until 9pm and can give you a call. Please let me know what would be the best time for me to ring again?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Thanks Paddy, I'll be back in the house in 20 mins for the rest of the day.

Cheers,
Ryan
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 37

Hi @TUX,

Just a quick post to see how things went with the engineer? I've run a few checks on your line, I can see that the fault was cleared yesterday. I think its a good idea to monitor the connection over the next few days. I'll give you a call on Monday to see how the connection is performing.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 9 of 37

Hi @PaddyB,

The engineer spent most of yesterday investigating various joins in the cable a fair stretch down the road.

He was checking for errors as he went and found a section where the errors went from very few to thousands, this length is running parallel with a Hydro electric cable, it's been layed right beside it !

This appears to be causing the rein on the line and therefore poor connectivity so in an attempt to mitigate the issue he had the SNR turned up to 12 which has impacted what little bandwidth I had, router shows around 2Mb but it's more like 1.6Mb in reality.

I'll keep an eye on it the next few days and talk to you Monday, thanks for checking in.

Ryan
0 Ratings
TUX
Contributor
Message 10 of 37

@PaddyB

Went outside for 3 mins and missed your call I think, typical !
0 Ratings