Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKOT
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Connection problems with PC XP Home since upgrading from Homehub2 to Homehub 4

Hi All,

I have done many searches and not found what I need hence the new post.

BT Home Hub 2 - Works fine with all my devices:- Airport Express, Belkin WeMo, 2 x iPads, 2 x iPhones, Windows 7 Laptop, Linux Laptop and Windows XP Home PC (yes I know XP is old and unsupported!).

BT upsold me to BT Home Hub 4.................

BT Home Hub 4 - All devices connect and work fine EXCEPT the Windows XP Home PC, it reconginses the hub, when you enter the key it will not connect. Having wasted 10 - 12 hours on this (BT Technical sent another HH4 which is behaves exactly the same!) they are now claiming that Win XP and HH4 are not compatible - Tough!

However, if I go the HH4 2.4GHz configs and change "WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)" to "WPA Only" it connects just fine.

I then went back to my HH2 config settings and it has "Use WPA & WPA2" checked - this works perfectly.

So I don't understand why HH2 works OK with WPA & WPA2 checked but with HH4 I have had to "downgrade" to "WPA only".

Whilst HH4 WPA Only seems to work OK, I am a bit undecided how secure that is these days......

I am really stumped and have already spent waaaayyy too long on this, all help will be much appreciated!

Steve

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Connection problems with PC XP Home since upgrading from Homehub2 to Homehub 4

have you checked the drivers for your network/wifi card are up to date from the manufacturers website and not just rely on windows update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Re: Connection problems with PC XP Home since upgrading from Homehub2 to Homehub 4

I would gues that the HH4 is forcing AES encryption for WPA2, instead of allowing either TKIP or AES. TKIP is less secure, and is not normally recommended.

Your wireless card driver may not like AES on a WPA2 connection, but updated drivers from the manufacturers website should fix this.

I believe the HH2 is more relaxed in its requirements, and will work with either TKIP or AES.

Security background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_Key_Integrity_Protocol

Quote.

"TKIP uses the same underlying mechanism as WEP, and consequently is vulnerable to a number of similar attacks"

0 Ratings
SKOT
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, checked that -  "Marvell Libertas 802.11 b/g Wireless" driver = 2.7.1.19 which from what I can see from the website looks to be the latest version.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Your wireless card is pretty old and only b/g. I would buy a wireless dongle which will at least give you b/g/n and will be able to use the HH4 without problem. They can be bought for under £10. If you do get one remember to turn off the onboard wireless card.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@SKOT wrote:

Many thanks for your response.

Yes, checked that -  "Marvell Libertas 802.11 b/g Wireless" driver = 2.7.1.19 which from what I can see from the website looks to be the latest version.

That is much to old to support WPA2 and AES encryption. You will have to either upgrade it, or just use WPA and a secure wireless key that cannot be guessed.

Wireless b/g is not making the best use of your home hub 4.

0 Ratings