cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Connection problems

I am reasonably technical (due to my job) so I have tried everything I can think of to solve this problem but now pulling out what hair I have left.

Switched to BT Infinity 2 a few months ago, after problems with PlusNet (but now realising it was probably a BT problem all the long) as my speeds started up where I'd expect them but have slowly dropped and dropped - I've also noticed now that I'm getting quite a few disconnections, which I know cause the DLM to automatically drop the ip profile to try and stablise the line.  I now have everything setup next to the main socket and into the test socket at times.

Sometimes I have heard static on the line on phone calls (but I am using dect type phones, so often thought it might be those or the internal wiring, as it was connected elsewhere in the house).  I have run tests at the master socket using the main dect phone connected into the test socket and then another old wired phone and using quiet line tests don't think I can hear any noise on the line.  During these tests I didn't have the router plugged in, but if I introduce it whilst doing the quiet line test I think I sometimes can hear some clicks etc but don't know if that's normal.

So I can't decide if I've got a dodgy line completely, which is affecting voice and broadband or if it's just a broadband issue and I know you have to report it one way or another - so looking for any advice.  I believe sometimes when receving or making a call that can cause a disconnection, which I think points to a 'High Open' on the line, so something outside of my house ?

I've added some broadband stats in case that helps.

BT Wholesale Speed Test

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.33 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 6.49 Mbps-8.11 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.11 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.71Mbps
 Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

From my Home Hub 5 trroubleshooting/helpdesk page and this is where my knowledge goes - but I don't think some of this looks right from comparing to what other people have put on as examples as I think the line and signal attentuation should be similar, but as you can see signal attentuation is 0.0/0.0

1. Product Name: HomeHub5

2. Serial number: +076284+1502001714

3. Firmware version: v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B) Last updated [Unknown]

4. Board version: 01

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:27:23

6. Data Rate: 456 / 8799

7. Maximum Data Rate: 489 / 38204

8. Noise Margin: 8.6 / 19.3

9. Line Attenuation: 0.0 / 17.2

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0

11. Data sent/received: 20.5 MB / 501.3 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Info from the event log on the last reconnection:

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=8799Kbps, Up Rate=456Kbps; SNR Margin Down=19.5dB, Up=6.1dB

Any help or advice very gratefully received, even if it's whether I should report this as a voice fault first but the noise doesn't always seem to be apparent and I fear a call out for the engineer not to find an issue and I'm also aware of potential charges but I feel I've done everything to take away any factors inside my house.

Thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Connection problems

Can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

You our are on infinity 2 but from what you have posted you can't get even as good as infinity 1 max of 40mb so maybe you should be considering downgrading to infinity 1 and save money

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

When I first got Infinity 2 from BT I was getting speeds of around 55/60Mbps down and from memory 15Mbps up, but it's just gone down and down, which I think are due to the disconnections and the DLM managing the line.

Hope the below helps - and thanks for coming back on this so quick.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    

FTTC Range A (Clean)8062.52020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)75.651.52015.6--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 6--3.5 to 8.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 6Up to 13.5 to 8.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3 to 7.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line has jumpers in place.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Have you tried just using the test socket with a filter and see if that improves your connection   The DLM doesn't change your profile due to the connection drops but it will increase your noise margin which will reduce your connection speed and as your profile is based on your connection speed then the profile will drop.

its not just your connection speed but your estimated speed is now below the infinity limit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I currently just have it connected into the test socket with a micro filter (which is ok as far as I know) so ruling out the faceplate filter as read those can fail sometimes. It's dropped the connection a few times today in this configuration. Could it be the hub 5 and should try and configure another router to rule that out?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

So if now in test socket does connection drop if you phone your home from mobile?  If so does it do it all the time you get a call? If so sound like a high resistance fault which you need to report as a phone fault to 151 with no mention of broadband

pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

I can't get it to drop all the time making calls in or out, but the first call out I made after your reply the connection dropped as I cleared the call down but so far not been able to reproduce at will.  I've connected my old wired phone into the phone socket for now, as I assume there's no way my dect set could be doing something to affect the line?  Long shot I'm sure.

Sounds more and more like I need to get the basics of the line checked out and ignore the broadband effect, so I can book an appointment, just not sure whether to report as noise on the line (but will it be present when the engineer arrives) or do I report it some other way so they are looking for the high resistance fault.  Again any advice very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Finally after two no shows, BT openreach turned up.  Typically the line was sounding reasonably clear today, but I videoed a call and noise from Monday when it was really bad - so at least the engineer could hear what I have been getting.  He did all the line tests with his equipment as everything passed - so he then said the only thing he could really do was replace the whole socket, as he said it was quite old.  So he's done that and all still clear and sounding ok.

My broadband is obviously still on a very low IP profile - I asked if he was able to do anything to reset it and he said he couldn't but it would improve if the line stays ok - but I'm posting this to make sure there's no other way I can get my IP profile reset, as if it is sorted, then I'd like to be getting the speeds I'm paying for asap and also montoring the broadband connection and speed is a good way of me knowing the problem has gone away, as I'm not on the phone that often to notice line quality.

Any further thoughts let me know.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

a reset needs a broadband engineer visit - mods cannot reset profile like they do on adsl

0 Ratings
pmillar1970
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Having a painful online chat with some guy in a BT Call Centre (somewhere!) taking me painfully through his script, when I've told him what the problem is and what needs doing.  I can't seem to find a way on the BT website to report a broadband fault, (without going through loads of troubleshooting) to get an engineer appointment booked.  Any ideas?

He's now suggesting I switch off my hub for 20 mins and try that!

0 Ratings