cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Connection repeatedly dropping to 1/10 of advertised speeds.

Not to sure if this is the correct area to post this. we have the superfast broadband... which isnt super fast. its 36mbit/s down  and 9 up.  apparently that qualifies as super fast these days...
speed tests from old to today:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/10157153948 (1 week 4 days ago)
https://www.speedtest.net/result/10162697920  (1 week ago)
https://www.speedtest.net/result/10201780621 (today)

ill get to my issue:
i have been back and forth with BT over the last two weeks. i have had two unpleasant dealings with representatives that basically told me to go away. the third understand an engineer needed to go and fix the issues but also tried to argue with me in the process. to which i kindly thanked her for her service and hung up before she gave me more of an issue with BT then i already have. The engineer was a top guy, arrived being told it was only a landline issue, i informed him that wasnt the case nor was it what i discussed with the representative on the phone. luckily he was understanding and told me he fixed multiple faults in 3 areas. two at the junction hookup box, something to do with a break in the overheads and finally two on the run-in to the house and the filter to the router.

this i believed fixed our issue, but it has not. repeatedly our internet dropps speed to 1-4Mbit/s down and 0.1-0.2mbit/s upload. This is just unacceptable. it happens for long periods of time usually 4-8hrs at a time. ive found its triggered almost 100% of the time if i try to stream. (not stream as in watch TV, Stream as in i live stream gameplay to Twitch or via Discord). so its almost the router or BT limiting this function.

i have spoken to BT again, and they think its a router issue. they have sent a router to replace the current.
ive also read that people have had the same issue with uploading to googledrive ect as its a very similar thing to do. the conclusion to which was for a BT technicision to tweak non-accessible settings on the router.

if there is a mod that could clarify and possibly undertake this task for me i will be eternally grateful.

Im honestly on the final straw with BT now, so if the new router or this doesn't work ill be ending my custom with BT as i feel im the person leading the process of getting this issue fixed. for a company that boasts exceptional customer service im really not seeing it.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Connection repeatedly dropping to 1/10 of advertised speeds.

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

webwiz_0-1601981049954.pngwebwiz_1-1601981128834.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

installed the new router,
problem still remains
i apply any pressure on the upload speed (2mbit/s) and the entire speed cuts out and i am left with 8mbit/s down and 0.2 mbit/s up.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Quiet line test?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

can you check MYBT and make sure package still shows as Fibre 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

unable to check mybt as we still haven't been provided with the information needed to create an account.

i was told by a representative it was sent last week via mail, its yet to arrive.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

quiet line test, is quiet.
no feedback or anything on that line.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

do you have smart setup turned off?

have you tried the quiet line test from test socket?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@webwizwrote:

unable to check mybt as we still haven't been provided with the information needed to create an account.

Perhaps you could try here :

https://my.bt.com/appsprofile/registration/signup.do 

or here:

Forgotten your login details? 

0 Ratings