cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SueSmith
Message 1 of 28

Connection speed dramatically reduced

Since last week my connection speed has reduced to the point where the average Web page takes over a minute to load and it is completely impossible to watch streaming videos e.g. youtube/ iplayer. I tried changing the channel but it made no difference. Plugged in the ethernet cable today and did the speed test:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 73 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 73 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

I work from home but it's becoming virtually impossible to get anything done. I'd appreciate some help?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Connection speed dramatically reduced

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SueSmith
Message 3 of 28

Here are my ADSL details:

DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime:1 day, 4:45:36
Modulation:G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:448 / 160
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:27.42 / 75.54
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.0 / 13.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:31.5 / 61.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:18.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):11,648 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 7,866,968
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 12,790
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 3,396
Line Profile:Interleaved

I already did the speed test, see my original post. Tried the quiet line test, heard nothing. Am connected to the master socket.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

have your tried connected to the test socket as this will eliminate any problems with any internal wiring.

also check this post for sources of interference 
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SueSmith
Message 5 of 28

I'm afraid my filter/ socket doesn't work like that. Please bear with me as I'm not an expert in this type of hardware. The front has two slots, one for internet one for the phone, underneath is only one for the phone (nb it was fitted by a BT engineer). Nothing has changed in my home in terms of the way I connect or other devices. The fact that the connection suddenly and drastically reduced suggests to me that it's a problem on the network, not in my home..?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

looks like this  original.jpg

but don't understand  underneath only for the phone

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

You should only plug a phone into the one on the double filtered socket, not the one below, which may not be filtered.

adsl faceplate.jpg

I assume its like the picture above.

0 Ratings
SueSmith
Message 8 of 28

Yes this is what it looks like - what are you telling me to do to check my internet connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

Snap imjolly Smiley Wink

The one underneath may be simply in parallel with the main line incoming. I had a similar situation when I first had broadband. It was an engineer install, and he wired the extra ADSL socket above, as there was no room where the cable came into the house. (it was an old small box)

0 Ratings
SueSmith
Message 10 of 28

Thanks for your help. It is in parallel with the phone line socket and was installed by a BT engineer - where do I go from here though?

0 Ratings