Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VirtualEntity
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Connection speed dropped by 10Mb!!

Hi

Been a BT Infinity customer since Jan 14th. After an intial speed of 37, the connection dropped to around 30 and I was getting the dreaded 'PPP LCP Termination Request' errors. An engineer was called out to test the line and basically said everything was OK and 30 was what I can expect. This was confirmed with his test equipment. He did however leave me with an Openreach modem which has been working quite happily with my HH5. Bottom line was I was happy with this and I've enjoyed just over 30 for 20+ days with an IP profile of 31.56. Yesterday, had issue with leases etc and rebooted the HH5 - didn't touch the modem. Today my speed is now 20ish with this profile:-

checker2.jpg

A couple of days ago it was this:-

profile.jpg

Also, to run salt into the wounds, there seems to be some 'creative' massaging of figures. When I signed up, range B impacted was between 22 and about 32 and range A was 30ish to 38 - don't have the screenshot to hand but can get it. Today, DSL Checker is showing this:-

profile2.jpg

This is total massaging of figures. My line has been quite happily running at 30 for 3 or 4 weeks. I live in a small village and I would guess the cabinet serves no more than 30 houses of which maybe 10 have signed up for infinity. My line was perfectly happy at 30. Why the sudden drop and the massive change to figures? Obviously BT and now just going to say my speed is in 'acceptable' ranges but they've changed the acceptable ranges. This is just not on. Very annoyed and feel like I'm being fed lies.

edited by mod

Just for completeness here's what my initial order said...

"Your broadband speed
We estimate your download speed will be between 35Mb and 40Mb.
We estimate your upload speed will be between 7.0Mb and 10.0Mb.
The top speed you can get from your broadband line depends on a number of
things, like how far you live from your BT exchange or street cabinet, how
many other people are connected to the same exchange or cabinet, your
computer's speed, the time of day, the speed of the servers you're
accessing, and even interference from the appliances in your home. To find
out more, go towww.bt.com/help/broadbandspeed

Please can the mods investigate as this is a complete farce?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
VirtualEntity
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Connection speed dropped by 10Mb!!

Sorry to reply to my own thread but found the screenshot of the expected speed when I first ordered on Jan 6, 2015..

speed estimate jan 6th 2015.jpg

and for completeness, here is what it says today..

profile2.jpg

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

BT have probably revised the figures as more people are connected to the cabinet. More connections increase the amount of crosstalk, which will affect the line speed.

Also I would expect that BT keep a check on the actual connections speeds, and change their estimates to more realistic values. Remember, these values are only estimates, and not contractual obligations.

I would be very surprised that a 10Mb drop, would even be noticable, if you did not keep checking it.

0 Ratings
VirtualEntity
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

As I said, our cabinet serves a small village - 30 ish houses. I know personally most people in the village and who has/has not gone with Infinity - it amounts to probably 10 properites. Are you saying that my speed has dropped by a third with 9 more customers overnight? What should I expect if the old dears in the other houses go for infinity - 5 Mb? Surely if there was 'crosstalk' the speed would drop off gradually as new users came on board - not a 10MB drop after a hub restart last night. Sorry - not happy and not convinced. As BT have changed the goal posts, what are my options? I was on 30 yesterday and today 20.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

You need to plug the HH5 into the master socket instead of the modem to get the line stats. They may indicate where the problem lies.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
VirtualEntity
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Here you go..

Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp3_0
Connection time:0 days, 00:20:52
Downstream:22.65 Mbps
Upstream:6.786 Mbps

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ43733746
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 21/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:21:23
6. Data rate:6949 / 23193
7. Maximum data rate:6948 / 26968
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation:29.7 / 26.3
10. Signal attenuation:29.6 / 24.0

For comparison, here are the stats from 27th Jan

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068342+NQ43012612
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 24/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 09:56:56
6. Data rate:9338 / 32507
7. Maximum data rate:9115 / 38880
8. Noise margin:5.3 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 26.1
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 23.8
11. Data sent/received:2.9 GB / 3.5 GB

Engineer was here on the 30th Jan and installed the OpenReach modem. I guess at the same time the firmware got upped to 204. Line has been stable since then AFAIK. Only restart (of hub, not modem) was last night to sort out some bogus leases that the HH seemed to have assigned and which were screwing up some of my port forwarding rules.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Not much room for improvement there. Almost certainly an increase in noise - probably crosstalk
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
VirtualEntity
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

As i said, very much doubt there's many other infinity users on the cab. The cab by the way was one of the ones that BT refused to upgrade as it wasn't commercially viable due to limited potential customers. Yesterday my profile was 31.56 and today 20? As I said, for the last few days speed has been going up slightly, not down. if there's more noise on the line, where did it come from. How does this get sorted? Cheers
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Vectoring should sort it
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert