cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kipp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Connection speed halved in a matter of days !

Hi

hoping i could get some hep advice nswers anything really because im getting a little frustrated !

On saturday the 22nd of marcl my broadband just started disconecting through out the day.

Checked online with bt status and fair enough there is a problem in my area and it is being fixed.

This i thought was the end of it and the broadband worked fine for 1 week then saturday the 29th march the exact same thing.

However checking online this time no problems where reported and havent been since ! .

My connection is still dropping randomly will stay connected for 10 hours then others time it drops 5 times in 20 minutes 

I was thinking my router was the problem but i am not sure as now my connection speed has halved in 2 days.

I have been with bt for 5 years or more with no problems what so ever my router has always connected at around 12/13 mb with a speed of 10/11 coming down Now its connecting at 6655 with a download speed of 5.2 !

my ip profile has changed it always said my line was capable of higher speeds than it shows now !

I have the router and 1 phone in the house connected to the master socket and they have been connected to the test socket for the past 24 hours 

Quiet line test done with no crackling or noise on the line !

I dont have a bt home hub was never given one I use a billion bipac 7800n with current firmware

hopefully have attached all the info needed and hope i can get some help !Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgUntitled4.jpg

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Connection speed halved in a matter of days !

welcome to the forum

all the drops in connection have resulted in a banded profile to try and stabilise your line.  this should normally release automatically given a stable 24/7 connection for 3/5 days.  the noise margin should start to reduce and your connection speed increase

if you can stay in test socket and post new stats with 3+ days connection time and still no improvement then mods will help get you out the banding

your profile is a function of your connection speed and is 88.2% of current speed.  to get higher profile you need faster connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kipp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the reply

I will see how it goes in the next few days then 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

post back if connection continues to drop often as you will not get out of the banding without a stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kipp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Well it has discconected 4 times today already since i posted 😞 

Will see how it goes through the evening but i really cant see it staying connected for any long period of time !

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

check here for possible causes of problems
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

doe your connection drop if you make or receive a phone call?

0 Ratings
kipp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

No it dosent disconnect when i use the phone at all

But having read that thread i decided to move the router and it was going fine all evening  and it stayed connected all evening the longest period yet in the last week.

The upstream snr was 5.9 and the downstream 18.8 (didnt take a sreenshot of this):(

However i woke this morning to find that sometime in the night it had disconected and now my ip profile has changed again !

Now im wondering what i my options are ?

because its a little disheartening to go from a a solid 10mb or so to 2mb in less than a week !

Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

even deeper banding are you connected to the test socket?
0 Ratings
kipp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Yes connected to the test socket now for the past 24 hours 

whcih clearly i had thought had helped but it apears not 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

is there anything here that could cause a problem 
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

0 Ratings