Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kajo123
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Connections and cables question

Go to solution

Hi there,

We signed up for BT Infinity 1 and BT TV in late July (moving from sky), and unfortunately it hasn't been a great experience. However, I have some specific questions and wonder how others resolve these?

Our master phone socket is in the hallway, by the front door. The TV is in the lounge, some distance away.  We have been told that we should have the HH5 connected to the master phone socket....but that the BT TV youview box should be wired into the router.  Clearly, as we don't have the TV in the hallway, this isn't particularly easy.

How do others resolve this problem - i'm sure that we can't be *that* unusual in our setup?!)? The 5m cable that came with the youview box obviuosly isn't long enough to go from the router to the TV (through two rooms!).  is it just a case of buying a very long (20m ish?) cable to go from the router (in the hallway) round all the rooms to the TV and youview box?  

We have a phone extension socket in the lounge (which works fine for phone calls, and worked fine for our old sky broadband) - but have been told because of ongoing infinity speed and connection issues not to use this for the router.

any suggestions anyone?

thanks,

Kajo

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Connections and cables question

Go to solution

A very long ethernet cable is the more reliable solution (maximum 100M before an active repeater is needed) but an alternative is to use powerline (aka homeplug) adapters which use your home's electric ring to connect the homehub router to the Youview box. All you need is a spare electric socket (some homeplugs come with a pass-through socket) at each end. Not a fan of them myself but others have used them successfully.

I have several AV devices which I connect to my router but I have only run the one long cable connected to an ethernet switch by the TV which in turn is connected to each device using short cables.

kajo123
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks - I had read that for HD TV, the powerline/homeplug adapters were not suitable....I will look into tha tmore though!

Is there any limit on the length of ethernet cables before quality degrades? Would a (say) 20-30m cable be OK for HD TV from the router?

thanks,

Kajo

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

100M as above (edit crossed in the post) so you would be well within spec.

kajo123
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you again!

So, now a dummy question. Is an 'ethernet cable' what was in the box with the youview box, or is this something different?

When I go to buy such a cable, what exactly do i need to ask for? (I note on maplin they are divided into Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a etc and a variety of adapters - no idea what i need here!.

Would this one work? 

UTP Network Patch Cable Cat 6 30m

And likewise, would this powerline adapter do the trick, do you think? 

TP-LINK TL-PA8030P KIT AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (1200 Mbps, Multiple HD Streams and No Configuration Required) - 2 Units Pack

Thanks again - and sorry for the dummy questions 🙂

Kajo 

0 Ratings
Dave93
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

You could try using your Homehub on the extension socket in the lounge and then use the supplied ethernet cable to connect directly to the BT Youview box, make sure any other phone sockets have micro  filters on them if they are in use.  This is not ideal and you will probably  lose some line speed this way but it might be easier than running a long ethernet cable.  Cat 6 cables are an updated spec which deliver higher maximum speeds but well above what your Infinity is capable of. The Maplin one is very expensive, Amazon do 30m ones for between £4-5. Powerlines can work well but are always a bit of a gamble, they might work OK at first but can suffer from noise and interference on your home wiring later on.  Hope this helps.

kajo123
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Unfortunately are having problems with the reliability/connectivity when the router is plugged into the exension socket in the lounge.  These problems seem to reduce (but not disappear completely) when the HH5 is connected to the master  socket.  So we have been advised not to use the extension socket for the home hub.   I haven't got as far as complaining about the entirely disappointing speeds we are getting on infinity - i'd be satisfied just to have any kind of internet connection that stays connected for more than a few hours at a time!

I'm not really sure how to go about getting someone to look at hte extension socket - assume it will be expensive?

thanks for the advice - will try a cheap amazon long ethernet cable to start with and see how that goes!

Kajo

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

The simplest solution is really to use power line adapters by far the easiest and tidiest way to get the results you are looking for I gave used them for years without any problems at all

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@stuartrogerson wrote:

The simplest solution is really to use power line adapters by far the easiest and tidiest way to get the results you are looking for I gave used them for years without any problems at all

Have to agree with Stuart here. I've used Powerline adapters for a few years now without a single issue. Currently using some TP-Link AV600's as these are more than adequate.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I have used TP Link pass though powerline adapters for a few years now and they work mostly fine if I want to watch BT TV in living room.

Darren

0 Ratings