Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firehammer
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Consistent wire LAN issues with HH5 despite replacement & factory resetting

Hi there,

I am completely out of ideas about an issue I have with a HH5 that will persistently cause it to drop all the wired LAN ports in the evening until early morning, despite getting the hub replaced, trying different LAN cables, performing factory resets along with all the other suggestions I have read on these forums (such as disabling Smart Setup and even unlinking the 2.4 and 5GHZ wireless!).

I have set up a VPN using a Raspberry Pi 3 and whilst this allows me to connect to my home network multiple times during the day and most of the evening when it gets to around 10-11pm at night the logs show that whatever LAN port the Pi is connected to, the port will go down and then around 6-7am the following day the LAN port will then reopen.

I have also checked that no parental controls are set, the hub's firmware is the latest version available (BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 | Last updated 02/06/17) and that there's nothing wrong with the Pi itself (as it works fine overnight on another BT connection I have access to (but this is using an Openreach modem connected to an older BT wireless router the model name which escapes me for now)

One other thing to add is that the previous HH5 would regulary flash orange for around 20-30 seconds before returning back to blue, but this seems to rarely happen since we replaced the HH5 with the current one we have. The only thing that appears to be working reliably is the DDNS option (using No-IP.com) as this is updating my DNS record whenever the modem reboots and gets assigned a new external IP address.

If anyone has any other ideas as to why the wired LAN ports are going down every late evening until the morning on a regular almost clockwork basis I would be very grateful as I am totally stumped now?

Thanks for any advice you can offer here.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
DavidM
Message 2 of 4

Re: Consistent wire LAN issues with HH5 despite replacement & factory resetting

Hi @firehammer and welcome.

Which exchange are you connected to? Is there any noise on the line? Can you try a quiet line test by connecting the phone to the test socket behind the master faceplate and dialling 17070 option 2?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
firehammer
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated. I won't be able to do the line test until tomorrow evening (and from memory I've not noticed any significant line noise), but I can tell you that the exchange is LNGHL Gants Hill (Ilford, Essex).

I will advise accordingly once I have done the test 🙂

Cheers,

Sid

0 Ratings
firehammer
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi David,

Apologies for the much delayed reply. Just to let you know that my son has installed a replacement VDSL wireless modem (TP Link W9970) and this has proved so far to be 100% stable compared to the HH5 which was still flashing orange and rebooting itself daily despite having the latest firmware installed, so I can only conclude that there is something still not right with the HH5 model now having tried two of them.

If anyone else is having similar stablity issues then this VDSL wireless modem I am now using may offer you a suitable alternative.

Regards,

Sid

0 Ratings