cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Constant Orange Broadband Light On HomeHub3 Requires Power Cycle

I've had BT Infinity for about a month now, which comprises a BT Openreach modem and a BT HomeHub3 (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 - Type A). I do not leave my kit powered 247 and both are turned on by the same mains switch (meaning they both start powering up at the same time).

I find that 60% or so of the time that I power on, the end result is that the modem is happily on the internet (DSL light is on), but the HH3 has a constant orange broadband light. It doesn't matter how long I wait, it does not resolve itself. However if I turn the HHB off then on, then usually it will power up and give a solid blue broadband light after a minute or so. Sometimes I have to repeat this twice.

Whilst I can resolve the problem each time, I shouldn't have to. I find it annoying, and it is beyond the scope of my young kids (and probably my wife) to be able resolve the same problem themselves if I am not around. Because the only thing I have to do is reset the HH3, then I would say the problem cannot be blamed on either the exchange or the modem. In my mind (and I am a software engineer so it's my job to think logically), it is as though an initial connection attempt to the modem fails, and it does not bother to retry.

This BT helper offers a resolution of turning off & on the HHB, which does fix it, but I shouldn't have to do this

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36336/~/i've-got-no-connection---hub-3

This BT page suggests that a constant orange broadband light is not a valid state it should ever get in

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32288/~/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-home-hub-3-mean%3...

This is not the "orange light of death" issue I have read about on these forums as the power cycle resolves the problem. I hope that this is the sort of issue that can be resolved by a firmware update.

Can anyone one else confirm this issue, or propose a permanent solution?

Thanks

Sox

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Constant Orange Broadband Light On HomeHub3 Requires Power Cycle

as this is an Infinity problem i will move your post to the Infinity Board
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

the modem should be left powered up at all Times you can power down the Hub although not advised disconnections of the Modem can cause problems with the DLM seeing your line as unstable and reducing your IP profile and therefore your connection speed
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi John, although I understand your points with regards to my profile, this is avoiding the issue I am reporting rather than resolving it.

Unfortunately due to the number of other devices powered by the same switch, in this day and age of green awareness and energy conservation, leaving them all on 9 (even in standby) is not ideal. I appreciate the HH3 has a power saving mode, but leaving on would still mean multiple devices left in standby.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

you would be advised in that case to use a separate power source for the modem if you wish to avoid future problems
also if you turn your hub of it is unlikely to ever receive firmware updates as they are sent remotely normally over night by BT
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

It may well be a hh3 issue but really you should never turn the equipment off more so the modem as this may cause even more problems especially with your speed. I can confirm that the modem and hh3 don't use a lot of power as I have an electric meter from British gas to see how much I use a day and its barely 0.01 kw an hour. But may I ask why you turn it off?
0 Ratings