cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 21 of 40

Re: Constant disconnections and reboots

Thanks imjolly.  That probably makes sense, but I suppose the risk is that if I wait until the problem returns, I will struggle to log on and access HH settings if things are as bad as yesterday.  I have just bitten the bullet and made a landline call.  The line noise made it very difficult, but my wifi was not affected, so I may be brave and try HH settings now.

Just out of interest and to rule out any possible causes of the broadband problems, is bluetooth ever an issue with wifi in general or HH4 in particular ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 40

bluetooth should not bother the wifi

you don't need to have internet access to make changes to the hub setting - just use an ethernet cable and enter 192.168.1.254 and that will access the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 40

Thanks again.  I am just looking at HH settings and Event Log now.  When I gave up at 1am this morning, the HH was in a constant cycle of reboots.  Although my connection is fine at the moment, it seems that is only the case since around 8.40am and those disconnections and reboots continued for most of the night.  So I probably shouldn't build my hopes up yet for a trouble free day !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 40

just post back if disconnections start again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 40

Thanks, that may be easier said than done if yesterday is anything to go by, but I really do appreciate the help and advice from yourself and John once again.

I probably didn't follow normal protocol yesterday.  I couldn't stay online long enough during the day to access the forums and so I drafted an email offline and quickly sent it to the Mod Team while I had a brief connection later on.  I know from before that I should post here first, but frustration gets to you, and it was eventually into the evening before I could finally access the forums.  I hope the Mods won't mind me by-passing the forums initially.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 40

normally emailing the mods does not get a reponse and you need the invite from the contact us link

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 40

There was another disconnection at lunchtime, the first in almost 6 hours, which is a big improvement on yesterday.  And it seems to have been quite stable for the last 3.5hrs or so.  But I see the difference in noise margins now, which is what you suggested might happen with the constant reboots:

13:11:52, 22 Jun.(51388.920000) DSL noise margin: 13.60 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
13:11:51, 22 Jun.(51388.010000) DSL line rate: 888 Kbps upstream, 18070 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 40

If the disconnections continue your noise margin will continue to increase with your connection speed reducing. If it keeps on dropping you will eventually get a noise margin of 15db+ and end up in a banded profile http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 40

Thanks, I have just taken a look at that page.  Is a banded profile something I would be stuck with, or will it be reversed if or when the disconnections stop ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 40

the banded profile will release when you get a stable conenction 24/7 for 3+ days then noise margin will start to reduce and connection speed increase.  sometimes it get stuck and the mods will help if you get 3+ days conenction time and still in banded profile