Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 31 of 40

Re: Constant disconnections and reboots

Thanks imjolly.

There was a bit of confusion over my problem yesterday.  I had a phone call from BT India in the morning saying that my landline fault had been fixed, and asking me to complete a customer service survey which would follow by email.  Sure enough, the phone line had no crackle and my broadband was still connected from the previous day.

A few hours later I had a call from BT UK, advising that the line noise I am experiencing at the test socket is undoubtedly the cause of the broadband problems and requires an engineer to check it out.  I explained the earlier call saying that my fault had been fixed, but the girl confirmed that no repair had been carried out and that these faults can be intermittent and may require several engineer visits.  I was reassured over my concerns of a charge if no fault is found.

This morning I have received a text reconfirming tomorrow's engineer visit, but also saying that checks have now shown an internal fault and then going to explain how I may be charged.

Because there is no longer any line noise, and my broadband connection has remained stable for almost 48 hours, I am tempted to cancel the engineer visit.  But then if it is an intermittent fault which returns in a few days, I will need to start all over again.

Would you know if these texts are just standard practice in order to deter time wasters who haven't checked their equipment for faults, or do you think I might be best cancelling the engineer visit to avoid any potential costs ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 40

i would stick with the visit personally the text is just a standard one as you say you have been advised over charging from the UK
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 33 of 40

Thanks John.  I think what concerned me is that yesterday's phone call confirmed no charge if no fault is found, whereas today's text confirms that an internal fault is now showing which I could potentially be charged for.  But if these are just standard texts rather than something specific to my fault, then I will leave the appointment as it stands.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 40

from previous posts the checks on the line have difficulty if the line problem is close to your home and often report wrongly problem is in your home.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 35 of 40

Just an update  ... yesterday I reached my 3rd full day without any disconnections or line noise.  The engineer visited and made thorough checks on the line, he obviously had to make a couple of disconnections while running his tests. 

He could find no faults whatsoever and said there was a possibility of it being an intermittent fault which I might experience again, but perhaps more likely that there had been a fault elsewhere that an engineer had detected and fixed since the weekend.  He would close the case for now.

The connection remained stable for the rest of the day and night after his visit, and no noise on the phone line.

But this morning there has been one disconnection so far, and just a very slight crackle to be heard via the quiet line test.  The only difference I can see via event log is that the noise margin appears to be reducing again.

Rather than report a fault again, my thinking is just to persevere and monitor it for now as one disconnection per day is quite bearable, unless it deteriorates any further.  Or are repeat fault reports best made as soon as they start to occur ?

(72925.800000) DSL noise margin: 11.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 40

down noise margin of 6db is normal  I would just monitor just now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 37 of 40

Thanks imjolly.  It's the upstream noise margin that I see reducing.  Normally around 5db or 6db prior to recent problems, but up to 15db yesterday and now down to 11.90db today. 

Thanks again to both you and John for your help and advice. I felt that I had an echo in the house yesterday, the engineer was repeating all the things that both of you had already said !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 40

the upstream shouldn't be a problem  just hope the down stays stable with noise margin staying around 6db

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 39 of 40

Well, it was good while it lasted, but I seem to be back to the frequent disconnections again and so I have re-opened the fault report.  The line is more crackly than earlier this morning and any landline calls also kill the broadband connection.  But speeds and noise margins are currently back to normal:

13:10:19, 26 Jun.(85144.570000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
13:10:18, 26 Jun.(85143.460000) DSL line rate: 1144 Kbps upstream, 17952 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 40

Not good if using phone drops broadband connection sounds like high resistance fault and needs engineer report to 151

0 Ratings